What's in your toddler's room?

I recently had to take out the diaper changing table because he keeps climbing it, but can't get down. Here's a quick description of his room. He has 3 usable walls...

1st wall - Thomas the train bed and a couple of his favorite big stuffed animals
2nd wall - nothing now without the diaper changing table
3rd wall - dresser for clothes and tv in the middle with a couple big toys on the outside

I want to keep it as clutter free as possible, but honestly it just looks empty! He has some cheap plastic box to hold toys in the closet, but nothing nice to bring out. If he had a book shelf, he'd just take everything down no matter how many times I tried to get him not to. I can't think of anything that would work there. Oh and the empty wall area in the room is under a window if that makes a difference.

Any ideas or advice would help! Thanks ladies

ours

Asked by ours at 7:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let's see.... One wall has his bed (Thomas too!) and his little play kitchen. The other one has a shopping cart full of fake food, pots & pans, and other assorted stuff for his play kitchen. The next one has these open cubicles, half of them with bins (toys, blocks, balls, etc), the other half with books. And the last wall has his changing table, which is also his dresser. That's about it...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Girl that sounds really messy! How old is your son? Mine would come in like a tornado and destroy a room with that much fun stuff haha. My husband is getting him a play tool set and table, but he wanted to keep that in the garage so that when he works on his car, my son can work on his toy ones. :]

Anyway, he can't just play with one toy if there are a lot of choices, he has to take them all out and I just can't handle it. Maybe if I was still a SAHM it'd be easier 'cause I'd have more time to clean, but I we're trying to find ways to make cleaning easier now that we're always busy.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• his toddler bed, bookshelf (nailed to the wall), his dresser is in the closet. There is also a small box of some toys and his changing mat is on the floor. He did have a play tent in his bedroom but he started throwing it around when he got angry and one of the parts snapped so it isnt safe anymore :(
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son is a climber...the only thing we had to get rid of was his small table and chairs. We have a bookshelf (anchored to the wall so it doesn't fall on him if he ever tried to climb it) with books and some canvas storage bins with toys. Also a play kitchen and a toy shelf holder thing (3 rows of plactic storage containers with toys). No matter what you have..he's going to make a mess. Just teach him to clean up his own mess. We make our 2 yr old and 3 yr old clean up their own rooms before snacks or dinner. or a movie. After a few times...they got the hang of it and we don't have to even ask 100 times anymore! :-)
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my almost 3 year old daughter has a bed and a dresser and night stand and a couple stuffed animals on her bed that is all. In my 5 and a half year olds bedroom she has a dresser, night stand, desk, bed stuffed animals on her bed and a tv that is all that is in their rooms all the yous are downstairs in the livingroom. We have a pretty big livingroom. We have them downstairs because they fight over toys and because they dont want eachother in their rooms to play with them and most of their toys are both of theirs since they are girls lol so they are down stairs
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• @Kristinaashley24 - my son will be 2 in December and we've tried teaching him to clean up. He understands what "put back" means, but once we ask him to put something back when we're picking up he suddenly realizes that no, he actually wants to play with it still. Then he'll throw a fit if I try to put it away and take even more out! Is it just his age? Maybe as the months go by it will get easier
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My almost 3 1/2 year old Son's room has His full-size bed, a mini Ottoman chair, a space heater on a table (His room doesn't heat up for crap), a crapload of toys (mostly "Cars"/Lightning McQueen, as well as a couple hundred Hot Wheels and and oodles more "total Boy" toys), and His dresser (which is actually in the closet). The bed takes up a lot of the room, but my Big Boy needs lots of room to stretch out while He sleeps! He has the coolest room ever..He LOVES it. =D
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My DS is 3 and he has a full size bed, a dresser w/hutch, a wooden toybox that holds all his extra stuffed animals, and 2 plastic crates on the floor (side by side) that has his favorite books in them. His changing table is now in the closet and serves as extra shelves. Oh, and he has a wooden rocking horse in there, too....but sometimes that ends up in the living room! =) And speaking of living room, since he spends alot of time playing in there, I bought one of those little bin organizers that are cheap and easy to put together. I got it at Walmart. We keep it in the living room, but you could use it in your DS's room. Surprisingly, my DS likes knowing there is a place for blocks, a place for cars, etc. He likes to put stuff back now since he knows where things go.
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010