HIV scare!! Help?

Okay so my Hubby is an EMT, so he obviously has a risk of getting the virus... I think at least a small risk for sure. Anyways, last night he was on a call and went to the scene, it was this 500 lb man in bed with trouble breathing and what not. The guy was so fat that he had to basically crawl over him to get to the other side to give him an IV and check his vitals. When he was about to leave with the patient, the patients gay lover told my hubby " oh, by the way, he had HIV". HOW RUDE!!! The guy never told my hubby b4 he started! Now, my husband doesn't think that he could have got the virus b/c he wears gloves and all that BUT I'm wondering a few things

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• The description you give here (he crawled over him to start the IV): no, he would not have gotten it from just that. Second, to try to ease your mind, I went to school to be a phlebotomist (the person who draws your blood when you go to the lab or in the hospital). I can assure you that ALL medical professionals, regardless of what they do for patients, are trained very heavily in HIV/AIDS prevention. It is drilled into our heads to always wear gloves, wash hands, cover wounds, use extreme caution with needles, etc. So, please try to relax knowing that unless your hubby completely ignores what he's been taught, or a patient deliberately does something to attempt to infect him, he will be fine. I know it's scary, I used to worry all the time that I might get stuck with a dirty needle, but it's really not that bad. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• CONT
    Can you get it through a sneeze, like mucous from the sneeze getting into hubby's eyes? ( he didn't sneeze on him, I just worry)

Should he quit his job? ( I'm preggo and we have a 2 year old, is it really worth the risk?)

How can you casually get HIV? ( not sex and all that, I know that much)

So, he makes 11.72, for this area it's okay and supports us well... It's not a lot but more than other places and he's in school.. what to do?
    Anonymous

• if he has a cute and if he treats someone with hiv and the person is bleeding he can get it and i think he can get it if someone sneezes on him to but your best bet is to look it up
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• NO, you cannot catch it by a sneeze. Blood and sexual contact are the only ways to contract it. If he wore gloves then he should be fine. Just have him get tested to be safe. They only "casual" way of contracting it would be if your husband had an open sore/cut on his hand and touched a bleeding infected person's open sore/cut. As far as quitting thats up to you two. I dont see it being necessary but if you are uncomfortable with it and he agrees then that is what you guys will have to decide. GL. This has def got to be scary for you :( I'll pray that you guys are ok!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• HIV is not passed on by casual touch, toilet seats or sneezes across a room. HIV is passed on through direct contact to body fulids. If your husband practices his techniques the way he was taught he should no higher risk than the average man. Wearing gloves, not recapping needles etc is all part of that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• He's a very good EMT! :o) I hope your right Grandma
    Anonymous

• chances r hes not infected its near impossible to get it through the eye membrains still go get tested anyway to b sure..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 6:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my friends sister is a nurse and was poked with an hiv positive needle at work.
    They put her on meds right away so if she did contract it, it would fix it ... the meds are intence. she was really sick and in bed alot for about 6 weeks but she got tested and was negitive.
    If you are worried tell him to go to a doctor and tell them what happened but iyou need to do it NOW and not later. If this is something you really think it is a possibility , dont waste time going. it is a very scary thing. I think his blood or seamen would have have to combine with the infected blood. Does he have any open cuts or anything? He was wearing gloves?
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 6:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yes he had gloves on and no cuts, def no seamen got out. hehe
    Anonymous

• Well then, I wouldn't worry. If there was no contact with any bodily fluids at all, there's absolutely minimal risk. I understand your concern, but all medical professions as well as law enforcement and fire personell have the same risk.

From your husband's viewpoint, try not to pressure him about this...he's under enough pressure just from his profession, which is a necessary one I might add. If some incident happens, there are procedures in place to ensure treatment if infection occurrs.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008