Why do you think educated parents are less likely to spank their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Because they know it's not effective, would be my guess... The more educated you are, the more likely you'll do your research and not just do what the generation before you did.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 90% of the people I know who have spanked their kids have graduated from college. (Myself included.)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 7:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i dont think the two correlate at all.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Where did that come from? My godmother is a judge, and an attorney, and I remember her spanking her kids. I can actually think of quite a few educated folk who believe in spanking now that I'm thinking on it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't think that at all. I am not "educated". I dropped out of school in gr. 12. I'm 27, and still have not bothered to finish school, I have myself a good job. I got spanked as a child, and I knew and have always known spanking didn't help me, it didn't teach me anything! I never got explanations as to why I was getting spanked, I was just told "NO". When I had my daughter, I found myself spanking her, and all I could see in her, was ME!! And I saw how scared she got, and that's when I decided right then and there I wasn't going to spank her anymore. She was 4 then, and we promised each other that "Mommy wasnt going to spank anymore". She's 6.5 now, and things between her and I have gotten so much better! :) So NO, I do not think education has anything to do with whether people choose to spank or not.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i only spanked my son's hands when he was very small..i've never had to do it after age 2. He gets different kinds of punishment now..things taken away, sent to bed...yadayadayada. I would never spank a child out of anger or in the heat of the moment. I did it to teach him the meaning of the word NO.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't mean to demean moms who spank who have not gone to college or beyond. I know there are plenty of moms out there who know it's wrong to spank, and have never stepped foot on a college campus.

i don't see how this has anything to do with a person's education. They don't teach about spanking in college
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why don't you raise your kids your way and stop trying to save little butts from an ass whooping. Every person I know spanks, it is not abuse and it is effective for most people. And just so I'm clear people I know are WELL educated. You discipline your way, ill discipline my way. SoRry for typos on my phone...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't agree with this at all. Education has nothing to do with it.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 9:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• who says they are?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010