Do you feel single motherhood is a problem in our society? Do you feel that it takes two MARRIED parents to have a well-adjusted child?

As a single mom, I take offense to anyone who feels that way. I don't care what "statistics" say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Statistics say that 99% of all statistics are in accurate. ;0P
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I had this argument with one of my college professors many years ago. He tried to say that children of divorce are low achievers do poorly over all. I raised my hand and asked him what he thought about me. He said, "you are one of the brightest in the class". I then told him my parents divorced when I was 6. He was floored. He then asked why I thought I was sucessful. I told him it was because my mother never felt bad about us being raised by a single mother and still expected us to be the best we could be.
    I think it I was better off being raised the way I was.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think you are fine. I think all mothers, married or otherwise, benefit from the loving support of spouses, family, friends, and total strangers. It's about the love, not the numbers.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 7:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I feel single PARENTHOOD that is lacking strong foundation/support system is a problem in society.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• "Yeah, but what happens when you are an only child, raised by a single mother, who prohibits contact with your father, and who should never have been a mother in the first place, and repeatedly tells you that you are the reason for her unhappiness?!"

Then the mother should be on meds or in the psych ward. My mother said the exact same things, and she was MARRIED to my father! See, it's not being married or single. It's having a healthy state of mind to begin with. I never wanted to get married because of what I saw growing up. I did end up getting married at age 24 and I try very hard not to be like my mother was. Some days I don't do a very good job of not being her, unfortunately, but I try.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think deadbeat dads are more the problem. Children growing up without fathers or whose fathers aren't positive role models. I was a single mom and my ex wasn't part of her life for 16 years. It was best for her but she had my father and later my husband as positive male role models in her life.

Single moms bear the load of two parents and work. Is every single mom a good one? No, not every married mother is a good one either. If a child has a strong, hard working, loving mother how can that be a bad thing?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• it always 'helps' to have two parents..y'know, to bounce off each other and share the load, but i know several single-moms who do just fine and their kids are perfectly adjusted..as well as any kid with two parents.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No lol. I feel it takes a well adjusted home to make a well adjusted child. Whether it be a single parent of a multi-generational home. AS long as the home is stable and loving the child will be to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No, I don't think it takes two married people to have a well adjusted child at all.... Matter of fact, some of the most messed up kids I know are raised by unhappily married parents. I think as long as the parent (or parents) are happy and well adjusted themselves, the kids will be just fine...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No it is not a problem. Some of the most screwed up people I know (including myself and my siblings) come from two parent households. Sometimes being with the father of your child, or staying in a bad marriage 'just for the kids' is NOT the best solution at all. Sometimes having one loving parent is far better than two parents who fight all the time. To me a family is your support system, whatever that may be, not who you are or are not married to.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010