To breast feed or not to breast feed?

I'm so confused!
Whats the up's and downs?
Will it actually make a diffence in my baby?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 5:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Simply put, there is no downside to breastfeeding other than that (unless you pump some) no one but you can feed your baby. Seriously, I can't even begin to think of any downfalls. And just for information's sake I breastfed, had lots of troubles, and then formula fed. After that, I will do anything to avoid having to formula feed again. It's just inconvenient and expensive!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• LOL, you just opened a big fat can of worms. This is a hot topic in all groups. It is really up to the mom. I wanted to BF really badly. My daughter was born prematurely. I still pumped and gave it to her through a bottle because of poor sucking and her mouth was too little, my nipple too big. Anyways, she developed some stomach problems at 6 weeks and went to formula. I suggest breast milk, in whatever capacity you can give it, only because of the colostrum and the health benefits. Any amount of time is better than none. There are some BF nazi moms on here who will throw it down your throat that you should EBF for 1 year or whatever...look, in the real world not everyone can do that. Do your best, thats all your baby asks for. Good luck.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 5:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• breastfeed, ALL THE WAY!! join the Proud Public Breastfeeders group. You will learn ALL the great things about BFing. i've been bfing for 14 1/2 months, am due in 2 months and can't wait to tandom nurse my kiddos! Also www.kellymom.com has more info than you can ever use! good luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Hi there, I am not the most earthy person and I breastfed twins for 14 months...here is why. 1. It is great for the baby...something about them being healthier in the future. 2. It is free, formula was expensive. 3. It made me so skinny, even just nursing my first son I ended up skinnier then prior to my pregnancy. 4. I am a little lazy...with breast feeding, I did not have to prep anything, or clean anything. So at 3:00am i just got the baby and got back in bed to nurse.
    Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 6:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• ITs agreat money saver its healthy for the baby most babies have constapation issues on formula you know whats ur giving the baby because your suppling it you always have milk with you and its just great it helps you lose weight and is healthy for your baby you just have to be aware of what your eating so your child is healthy
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• It's up to the mom. Plain and simple.
    Anonymous

• Pros of breastfeeding:
    1) It's free.
    2) Little to no cleanup or prep work.
    3) It aids in losing pregnancy weight.
    4) Studies show that it reduces the risk of allergies and asthma for your child.
    5) Studies show that breastfeeding for 1 year increases your child's IQ.

Cons:
    1) Unless you pump, no one else can feed your child.
    2) If you're very self-conscious, it can be hard to breastfeed in public (though how you can be self-conscious after giving birth eludes me).
    3) If you drink caffiene, you may still have to limit your intake (ask your doctor).
    4) If you drink alcohol, you may have to time when you drink so that it won't be in your breastmilk, or pump your milk and dump it out.

I breastfeed (I'm still nursing my 13-month-old daughter, though she is self-weaning), but it's your choice in the long run. If you have any specific questions about breastfeeding, feel free to message me.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 7:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• one benefit moms aren't listing here it reduces the risk of breast cancer. It's great bonding for you and baby. Baby will have a stronger immune system. I BF 4 kids and I would do it again. Good Luck whatever way you decide to go.
    Anonymous

• also reduces the risk of ovarian cancer....like others said, its all up to the mom. for me i found that, aside from the aforementioned health benefits, it was just easier to BF cause its always there, warm and ready to eat...unlike a bottle which has to be stored cold then warmed blah blah blah...
    the world health org and pedi assoc of America web sites have great info as does the previously mentioned kellymom site. Personally, i would say at least try it...see how it works for you...but really try...take advantage of the resources available at the hospital and through your OB or midwife by way of a lactation consultant...Jamie self weaned at 6 months and i miss it so much...its great bonding time and something you will (likely) remember with fondness for years to come.
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 8:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Save money , no bottle to wash, always ready and right temperature to feed. I say go for it if you are comfortable with it.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2008