Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

TANF and custody

I live in Richmond, VA...I am a single mom who was ever married to the father of my child. I told him many times that he was the father of my child but he never responded to me and never asked to have a DNA test done once the child was born. Four months after she was born I applied for TANF. I just got the letter for the court date to establish paternity. I do not know what happens once it is established that he is the father. Does he automatically get visitation or custody or does he have to ask for it?

Answer Question

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 7:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Relationships

Level 6 (137 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You get Child Support. Then you can have a court date to figure out Visitation and stuff. He will not get custody just yet and if he does fight to get it then he can have joint custody. The only way he can have full custody is if he proves you an unfit mother. But with him acting that way then he might just go ahead and waive his rights as the father.

    Answer by PjsMommy06 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • he will probably have to pay child support and then once they start paying they would probably talk about a visitation schedule if he wants to visitation and unfornately most father once they start paying they want visitations. its said they do put a price on the childs head. anyways, that is what my dd said he was going to do but yet to even get a letter. good luck. i am in a different state. i did not go to court for anything he went to the court date. i would ask if you even have to go.

    Answer by lambdarose at 7:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • He doesn't automatically get custody just by claiming he's the father. The court decides if custody is warranted and when visitation would take place. Just FYI- I've seen parents fight over kids just for welfare or benefits or both, so get a lawyer if necessary. Have proof that he denied paternity may help if he's just trying to get money too. Make sure your voice is heard in court. Good luck.

    Answer by dawnf69 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • not automatically however if he asks for it he has to file a request through the court to establish it if he wants it. Also this paternity is mainly for establishing child support right now. The court will have to schedule another hearing for the father once he files the paperwork asking for visitation or custody.

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 7:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

  • What happens if he doesn't ask for visitation or custody?

    Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Did you.....

Next question overall (Health)
pain in left side