Cat with several issues, using everthing but the litterbox, jumpy, & aggresive

We adopted a cat a couple of years ago now in the last 6 months he has started to use the couch as a litterbox as well as the floor. We now lock him our basment before going to bed to keep him from doing this. Also he is a true "scardy cat' any loud noise or someone going to pet him and he runs! He won't let anyone near him but my husband and he is also showing some aggresion towards the other family members. We truly love this cat and we saved him from and adoption center and we would really hate to give him up but we are unsure what to do with these issues, HELP

Medcod

Asked by Medcod at 6:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pets

• He is going to destroy your home if he already hasnt. That smell will NEVER go away with just cleaning. You will need to get your floors and furniture replaced. I LOVE cats but Its gonna be expensvie to make these changes. Is he fixed?? If not then you def have to get that done. Cats can be very agressive and territorial when they are not fixed. As far as keeping him goes...is he really living a happy life in your basement? I know you love him but you have to consider everyones health and safety. Especially if you have small children. good luck with everything! I love cats and can only imagine how hard this is for you :(
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• if you dotn get the smell out of the area's he has already hit he'll keep doing it. their are sprays you can buy that leave a scent that deters them. is he male? get him fixed...it helps
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• a lot of times cats will do this type of thing when they have a health problem, whether it be kidneys, liver, UTI...First and foremost i would have your cat checked at the vet, that they can test her blood and urine for any signs of health concerns...if that doesn't absolve anything, you can try something called feilway or comfortZone ( http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html ) and see if that helps calm her

Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I love animals, I love cats truly, I do. I've had a lot of them thru the years... This one is probably not going to change and if he hasn't ruined your house already, he will. The only thing I would suggest if he hasn't always been this way is taking him to the vet and checking for a infection. sometimes uterine tracts make them crazy like that. If he doesn't stop, I would take him down to the human society. You dont want another family dealing with the same problems and ending up hating cats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Sorry to say it, but I just went through something similar. My little guy was 5 years old, pooping on the rug outside his box and becoming even more aggressive than usual towards our other cat that was 1/2 his size. Hissing, growling and swatting at anyone that came into our house. We have an 8 month old baby. We agonized about it for months, but in the end gave him up. My house is less stress filled now. Sometimes you need to put your family first, no matter how much it hurts.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had the same problem. We live in the country and he is now an outside cat. Getting him fixed helped, but he still did it. If I couldn't have put him outside, I would have had to get rid of him.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Take it to the vet..... jesus.
    Anonymous