at what point is it ok to allow your children to run your house???

this may sound like a mean stupid question, but i am reading some of these and im thinking we are the boss ( me and my hubby). we set the rules we are the teachers. my kids challenge me all the time and i am constantly worried about them but they will never tell us what to do. i think i am just way old school. they NEED boundaries. we just started letting our 13yr old what some rated R movies and listen to music like Emeim. why do you want them to grow up sooo fast. im curious

cuteness13983

Asked by cuteness13983 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is "NO" point at which children should run or make decisions in a home that has already capable, mentally fit, and responsible parents. However, there are exceptions when a child or children are forced to run a household where parents aren't responsible i.e., alcoholism; drug addiction and the like. If you are asking should children set their own boundaries within a parent-run home, my answer would be no, and for one specific reason. Children are still children, they are still in the process of understanding the world around them, finding out their own strengths and weaknesses, they still have much to learn. As parents, we have a greater degree of understanding of the world, it's requirements, self-control and temperance, and priorities.
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 11:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yesterday, my son told me he didn't want to carry in groceries. I told him he wouldn't eat if he didn't carry. I have never had to follow through with any of those comments, because they know I am right and do it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son doesn't tell me what to do, however, I allowed him to watch those movies and listen to that music for a reason. He didn't tell me he was going to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with you. We are the boss, our house our rules. We are the parents and until they move out on their own they live by our rules.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have never had a problem with my son, he has always listened to what ever he wants and watched most movies, with a few exceptions. He has never told us he was and never had issues. He is a good kid and always done what we have told him and expected of him.

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• thank you.
    cuteness13983

Comment by cuteness13983 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• let me add something what i am trying to get at is people ask questions how do i get my kids to stop talkin back , you correct them when they are 2 when they started trying to do that. i have good kids i am just trying to understand how other mothers see all this.
    cuteness13983

Comment by cuteness13983 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My kids will NEVER run my house!
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My kids never have and never will run my house! As my dad used to tell me and my siblings~ "The tail does not wag the dog!"
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Never, they will get to run their own house, but hubby and I run ours.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010