Pillowcase for a toddler?

My 22m old son has used a pillow in his crib for almost 3 months now and someone mentioned that the case could be a safety hazard. He could take off the pillowcase, get it over his head and potentially suffocate. Have you heard this before? I was thinking of just using a pillowcase cover, that closes with a zipper. (so far he can't figure out zippers :)
Any insight? Thanks!

ellagrace

Asked by ellagrace at 7:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have never heard of this before. I guess it could maybe get stuck over his head, if he got it off the pillow in the first place, but by now it's typically ok to have blankets or stuffed animals in the crib and I don't personally see how a pillow case is any more risky. I guess the bottom line is that I would think if the pillow is safe the pillow case shouldn't be much concern. Plus, it's not like it's a plastic pillow case or anything, right? I'm curious to see if anyone else knows about this being a safety risk.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think you can breath through a pillow case. It is not plastic.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• mine never took hers off but the ones with the zipper, you can turn inside out so it's harder to unzip.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Your choice but my son did at that age, and he is perfectly fine :)
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We use a pillow cover with the zipper, but we also use a really thin, low thread-count pillow case, so even if he did get it around his face he wouldn't suffocate. I guess it's always a possibility, but so is sleeping with a blanket or teddy.

If you're uncomfortable, just get a couple of those cases that close with a zipper. They're easy enough to change.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Never heard of such a thing. Mine all started using pillows around the 18 month mark and I don't see it as any different that having a blanket in a bed that they could cover their head with.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010