Should my 7 yr old son be waking up to an alarm clock for school?

My husband wants our son to wake up to an alarm clock ,however I'd rather wake up our son myself. And my son wants me to wake him up too. Any input would greatly be appreciated since I'm a helicopter ( hovering) mom and I know I need to give our son more opportunities to do things for himself. However I'm torn in certain areas on how I should behave.

MommabearGrr

Asked by MommabearGrr at 8:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would think so he is big enough to understand the concept of it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Awww......I feel like you. My son is 7, but I always wake him up. I won't give my son an alarm clock until he wants one. I feel like he is still too young for that. I say keep on waking him up. I always wanted my Mom to be up before me when I was growing up. There's just something special about it for me.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 8:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My son is 9 and has an alarm clock- he lets me know when he sets it, otherwise I wake him up most of the time.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would wake him up. I agree with huntannakay, I to loved it when my mom was up first.
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• DD is 8 and has her own alarm clock and has since she was 6 but I still go in an wake her up
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 10:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't think waking your child up is being a helicopter mom...now if they won't wake up and you are their alarm clock then maybe. Or if your child would like an alarm clock. But for me personally unless my child asked for an alarm clock I would just continue to wake them. I wish someone would gently wake me and say, "it's time to get up and get dressed sweetheart, breakfast will be waiting on the table!" Now I think Jr. High is the time to start with personal responsibility. We need to at some point foster independence so they don't end up 30 something men that need someone to set an alarm and kick them every 5 minutes and say, "Get up! If you wake up the kids before they need to someone is going to get hurt and it won't be me!". Ahem...not that I deal with that! lol
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 10:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My 7 year old wanted her own alarm clock, I rather go in and kiss her good morning. I would do what is right for your son, let him choose for now, soon he will be a young man and very independent.
    LoriMRice

Answer by LoriMRice at 1:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Mine started with an alarm clock in kindergarten, when they were 5, so yeah, by 7, they're definitely old enough. However, I am definitely not a helicopter parent and expect independence in my children.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My five year has a clock in her room, analog. She knows she is not allowed to leave her room until 8 to wake up mommy unless theres an emergency. I still prefer to wake her myself, but she likes 'being like mommy"
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would do both. I would get him an alarm clock, and set it for him. Then in the mornings, just make sure that he getsd up when it goes off. Then, he is learning to be more independent by using the alarm clock, but then he still has you to fall back on.
    Erin_Jus

Answer by Erin_Jus at 10:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2010