Is t.v. good or bad vs. Internet gaming for kids.

I'm just curious because I know a mother that is literally addicted to the internet in which her own children hates it that they freely reply to anyone they meet that "Moms life is the internet" so with that said. We know she also allows a lot of time for the children while done with school, she gives up the internet for maybe the rest of the night for the kids to play games. Play, Play, Play computer games. However, she swears by all means that t.v. is beyond her will to let her children watch it. It is like maybe once or twice a month in a month she will allow it other than that, it's okay to over due the computer thing...oh and the games are not learning games and the age of the children are 9. Just wondering what you think. T.v. is good or bad vs. Internet gaming.

Funny though, when the kids are with other people. They know the words of all the Disney after school shows and the characters and tell you bout other shows.

808tiare

Asked by 808tiare at 8:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't limit it as long as a few things happen

1. They get good grades in school
    2. They stay off bad sites(and that is what the keylogger program in the kids computer is there for)
    3. They do their chores around the house.
    4. They behave for me.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't limit my children's gaming or TV, educational or otherwise. As long as their chores are being done (and once they start school they are getting up and going) I won't see a reason to limit it. They are active little boys, constantly up and running crazy, so when they want to sit down and watch or play, they are more than free to do so.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When my kids were little, we had no tv or computer (except for school work) on school nights. Weekends there was a limit on both and then they were off to play outside, read, play board games, etc. Sitting in front of a screen is not good for little kids, they should be doing something active and creative. Now my kids are teens and are all very sensible about self-monitoring how much time they spend on TV or computer.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I allow my 4 yo 35 minutes of computer game play a day. Her game sites are all educational, and well, she enjoys it. As for TV time, the TV is on all day here. I like the noise really. She'll mostly play, do puzzles, paint, etc. Once in a while a show will catch her interest too. We always enjoy breakfast to a morning movie. With winter near, the outdoor bike rides and park visits will soon be coming to an end, which is a BUMMER.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Any child under 2 should not be exposed to either period. Preschool age should be extremely limited. School age kids can be exposed to either in moderation. Both r equally as bad when abused.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• My nearly 4 year old will watch television and play educational games on the computer. She doesn't always pay attention to what's on the television, though. She also plays and colors and sings and dances all day. It's a wonder she doesn't take a nap! When I get home from work, I don't turn on the laptop. We hang out and watch Law & Order, Bones, or NCIS until dinner is ready. At that point, we just hang out until bed time.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• neither is worse than the other.. it's the time put into them that makes it good or bad. An hour of TV or internet won't hurt the child, but if you aren't filling the rest of the time with play and education, is where you will start to see the negatives.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It all depends.... On what the watch or what they play. I think both can be great.

But my kids are a bit different. They like to watch the science channel, and Disc. shows like mantracker, how it's made, etc.

Internet learning games are excellent too. They have alot of great ones that make them strategize (sp?) and think outside the box.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 8:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2010