What would you have done (If anything at all)

So today Im at a red light and in the car next to me is an infant in a car seat in the front seat! I was in shock. I thought that kind of stuff only happened on CM but there it was right beside me. I was just sitting there thinking "People actually DOOOO THAT!?"

imuney

Asked by imuney at 8:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's more common then you think... i wouldn't do it though to me that's insane.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would do nothing, I remember when my 18 yr old was an infant, He sat right in the middle of our front seat,, there was a seat belt , so i assumed it was there for a person....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• seen it more times then I wish to say, I have aslo seen 3 yr olds in the front seat and 5 yr olds with no seat belt on standing on the seat. some people should not have children..........
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's amazing the things that people do with their children that put them in danger and are illegal. When I was working at our local Taco Bell a couple of years ago, I saw this person with three children in the back of the car. There was no backseat (it had been removed) and the children looked like they were about 2, 4 and 6, just bouncing around in the back of the car and there was a beer bottle in the cup holder up front. I wanted to call the cops and report them, but my manager wouldn't let me and threatened to fire me if they found out that I had called. Another time, these people came through the drive through with a car full of people (about 6 in a car that seated 4, 5 max, and an infant that they were taking turns holding. There's really not much you can do, unless you can get the license plate and immediately call the cops and the like.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would have called the police on the people mentioned by ms bat, that is scary! How can people be so reckless with their kids' safety? At least the people the OP is talking about have a carseat, even if they have it in the front seat. Hopefully someone gets them to move it, soon.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If the front airbag is turned off and the seat is in pushed into the furthest position (Not the back rest, but the whole seat) then it is actually legal for the child to ride up front. If that is the only option. If there are back seats then it is recommended, but not against the law if done otherwise, for the child to ride in the back seat. In most all states the only actual law is regarding the seat itself, not where in the car the child sits. It is only recommended they sit in the back. As well, it is not actually any less safe for a child to sit up front then in the back as long as the airbag is turned off. In the event of a crash there will be injuries either way if the crash is severe enough.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i would have called the police
    zoiezmom

Answer by zoiezmom at 10:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree with Jazzlikemraz. It's really not that huge of a deal if the airbag is disabled.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• When I had my first son, I didn't really have a choice of whether to put him into the front or back seat. I had to put him up front because the back of the car had no roof and he would have been rained on when it rained, or just get way too much wind or sun.... I pushed the front seat all the way back that I could, and turned off my airbag so he wouldn't get hurt by that...but it wasn't until I was able to get my second car that I could have him in the back seat.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 9:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010