please no rude comments....

Today I got into a argument with my husband. One think led to another and he hit me. I have a little bump. I am not going to leave him but what can i do to tell him that that is NOT acceptable and it needs to stop? I think it hurt me more emotionally than anything.
Anyone elce go through this or know anyone who has? Any advice would be great!
thanks....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• No rude comments huh - but you are staying with someone who physically abused you? It doesn't matter if it is one time or a million times - that is abuse and it is unacceptable. No amount of you telling him that is going get it through his head if he doesn't already know that. Leave him . . . leave him now. If a child can understand that hitting is bad then so should a grown man.
    Anonymous

• i have a friend that deals with this. i honestly cant see myself staying with a man that will put his hands on me. my friend wont leave her man just like your choosing not to. all i can say is that i hope neither one of you becomes a statistic. he did it once...he'll do it again. thats just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Did he apologize? I think first of all you need to find out if he has no remorse for what he did or if he feels just as bad as you. I know I've said many things that hurt me more than my boyfriend because I have a quick temper.

If he's embarrassed for what he did, you should tell him how bad he hurt you (emotionally) and that you won't tolerate him doing it again.

If he's not sorry...I can't really help you there. Some guys are just assholes, unfortunately, and can't be reasoned with :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i would tell him if he does it again i will put him in jail my kids dad choked me a few years back and i told him if he ever did it again i would put his ass in jail but ofcourse i wanted to do it that noght but his mom stopped me i dont put up with a man hitting a woman its not right so just tell him you dont like it good luck and put some ice on the bump it will go down
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• night i typed to fast lol sorry
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'm sorry you are in this situation! I always say I would leave immediately if my SO ever hit me! But with wisdom I realize that you can't say what you will do until it's really happening. Other than leaving him for a while, I don't know what else you can do to make him believe that it is unnacceptable. Hitting is grounds for separation! If you stay, you are allowing him to do it.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 6:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I went through that before. when my husband and I were dating we got in a big argument and he halled off and hit me. I hit him back and left that night, took all my things and left. We talked the next day and we decided to take a break. About 2 months later we realized that we really loved one another and that we really need to work things out. We did and 5 years later he hasnt hit me since and vice versa. I think it happens when 2 people are not comunicating very well and that the argument just becomes explosive. Never was or has my husband been violent towards me so I knew even though i over reacted that he loved me and wished he could take it back.
    Anonymous

• He MUST be made accountable for his actions--- if he hits you and receives no consequences, he WILL hit you --or WORSE again. This is abuse--Domestic Violence to be exact--and if you don't give him consequences to deal with, he WILL repeat the behavior. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not in a week, or even a month, but guarateed, he'll do it again if you choose to take no action to correct this behavior.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• FROM THE ABOVE ANSWER................... this too shall pass. Youll have to have a heart to heart talk with him and youre gonna have to decide when or if he ever was to do it again what your response will be then and tell him. Tell him straight up. If you truly believe he will never hurt you like that again then you should have no problem telling him that that really hurt in all the ways you can hurt. If you think he will hit you again then its time to re-evauluate your marriege to him for you and your children. good luck and be strong.
    Anonymous

• If your not going to leave him, then you both should get counseling together. Because it could happen again. And if you have young children, I would hate for them to witness it. By the way he could of gone to jail for this...bump or not bump. So ya, that's how serious it really is.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008