Why is it such a bad thing?

Why is it such a bad thing for a women to want to stay home with her kids weather they be from different father or not. Even if they really cant afford it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• Umm. It's not a bad thing to be a sahm. I don't know anyone that thinks so. I DO however think it's a bad thing when you have to use government assistance to do so. Those programs were not set up so women could stay at home because they just felt like it. If you can't afford to pay your bills by quiting, you need to keep your job. I shouldn't have to support your decision to sah.
    Anonymous

• I can afford to stay home with my kids the only thing i use is medicaid for my kids. I have just seen a few post were people were saying bad thing to some moms for wanting to be one.
    Anonymous

• Its not good to use the government just because you want to stay home. Yes being a mom is a hard job but its also not a paying job and should not be. If you can afford it then stay home its better for the kids if you cant but want to then find a at home job. That really is the best thing i think there should be a company that helps moms find at home jobs. You know the places you go to to get a temp job thats what they should have for moms who want to stay home. They can log in and companys can post REAL JOBS not a home business. Then again the world is changing who knows aybe we will have a place like that someday
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 7:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It's not bad. Look at it from the man's perspective. He might feel a little used. He has to take care of you and the kids, even the kids that he didn't father. What is the real father doing for them? If he's paying support, that would help out. It's hard for our men these days to make enough money to support a family! Think if that were you! All the financial worry on your shoulders! It's stressful. If you can afford to SAH, go for it. If it's a burden for him, get a job.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Is this another post about the Mom who wanted to stay home -- while living in a rent adjusted apartment that doesn't count her boyfriends income -- and she figured she could just get food stamps too? Collecting child support from the two different dads of the kids she has? Are you seriously asking why its frowned on to expect the public to pay for you to stay home? Staying home is a luxury a LOT of Moms would like to do, but they work because they are responsible for their bills. Government assistance isn't so you can live the life you wish you had - its so you can make it while you get on your feet and get off assistance. It's not your Mom and Dad taking care of you -- its assistance to keep food on your table for emergencies. No one owes you the right to stay home, you have to earn that with your spouse or figure something out with a home job or flexible schedule.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree that you should only be able to stay home with your children if you can afford to do so without going on public assistance. I wouldn't fault anyone for WANTING to stay home...and even if things are tight and they can pull it off, that's great...but when it comes down to my tax dollars supporting children I didn't have so another mother can stay home while I work...I get a little pissed about that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It is not bad all Mothers should stay home with the kids! Woman should be comended for staying at home with the kids I am a big supporter of the stay at home mom know matter what the Income. I do not work and have not and will not we homeschool. My husband is the money maker right now we don't make much we are on welfare and just filed bankruptcey for 1 and half million dollars and not once do I feel it would be better for me to work.
    Joanne27

Answer by Joanne27 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree with the above.. no one is saying it is a bad thing , but there have been previous posts from moms wanting to stay at home, living in government housing, eating on food stamps, with a welfare check plus wanting to have more kids.. that is what's wrong... It's wrong because for 26 years I have got my butt up, took my kids to daycare, went to work, provided benefits, took my children to the Drs., ate on food from Aldi's and Thank the good Lord, my girls are doing the same for their families!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i do not think that it is wrong at all im a stay at home mom, i live in rent adjusted housing, i get foodstamps, i get medical, and i get wic. i mean it was not worth me working at all. But next year i do plan to go ot college and yes i will be getting free college too. But after i get my degree in nursing i will get off of it asap. i mean i dont want to struggle to eat like i did before my son was born and i dont want to have to live in a druggy community that has cheap reant, before we got on adjusted rent apartments all we could afford was a 250sq ft studio apartment that was really unlivable. I just want a better enviroment for my son, and i would get a job but do any of you know how long the freakin waiting list to get a kid in is? lets just say that there are over 400 women on that list where i tried to apply and half are pregnant so they can go back to work.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 5:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Who brought the government in this, she asked why it is bad even if they can't afford it. If you can't afford it downsize your living expenses, and live within your new means. I'm a licensed insurance agent and let me tell you VERY FEW people can afford health and life insurance, if you don't have it through your job then you don't have it. Health insurance for 500 a month,,,,use medicaid. If certain individuals (OBAMA supporters) would get off of welfare then we would probably be fine... SO I HOPE ALL OF YOU WHO ARE TALKING BAD ABOUT GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE VOTE FOR MCCAIN Obama is going to put us all out of work.
    BOTTOM LINE --- If you want to stay at home with your kids use whatever source you have be it medicaid, welfare, food stamps,whatever, I'd like to see it go to someone actually taking care of their kids, not someone that sits on their ass all day and lets them roam free.
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008