Is stopping cold turkey bad for the baby and me?

mommiey2008

Asked by mommiey2008 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Smoking? Yes, it can be. The baby has the nicotine in their systems and would withdrawl from the lack of nicotine. Talk to your OB/GYN or doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Honestly it depends on how much you have per day. Most doctors will tell you that moderate use, stopping cold turkey is best but if you are a heavy user, you need to cut back gradually.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you mean smoking, as the pp said, yes it can be bad. It can increase your risk of m/c. Talk to your OB before you quit, but cutting back is a good idea.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you're talking about smoking, then yes. My OB/GYN just told me to cut back as much as I could because I was under a lot of stress throughout most of my pregnancy and almost miscarried a few times anyway. My dad was really sick, and then passed away while I was pregnant. I honestly think that continuing to smoke was what saved my baby, because it helped with my stress and I had less bleeding while I was smoking. If you're a light smoker (like just a couple cigarettes a day), then yes you can quit cold turkey. But if you smoke more, cut back slowly and try to quit.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• What about taking pain medication... I take 90mgs of morphine a day... I been slowly cutting back since i found out i was preggy, two weeks ago i was taking 180mgs.... Had first u/s at 6wks3days and heart rate was 125... im 8 wks 4dys today... super nervous about m/c
    HarshieGurl

Answer by HarshieGurl at 9:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have had 4 kids. I used to smoke. I had four different doctors. Every single one of them told me to quit at all costs. I have et to see a doctor who says not to quit during pregnancy. That's just an excuse to keep smoking. Sorry, but it is. If a doctor told you that it was ok to smoke in small amounts, the patients definition of small amount could be very different. Then the mom could sue the doctor for telling her it was okay to smoke while pregnant, because her baby is sitting in the NICU. My pregnancies were super duper stressful and my babies came out just fine. I didn't smoke.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Quitting cold turkey can be difficult, especially if you're a heavy smoker. As your body adjusts to life without nicotine, you'll probably feel restless and irritable. The good news is that your baby won't share in the misery. There's no evidence that babies go through nicotine withdrawal, and they certainly won't miss a daily dose of tar and carbon monoxide. Besides, your withdrawal symptoms will fade in two or three weeks, and then you can finally stop thinking about cigarettes and start thinking about getting the baby's room ready.
    Expert advice from
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_im-pregnant-can-quitting-smoking-cold-turkey-hurt-me-or-my-b_1405526.bc
    I like this site because doctors and medical professionals answer the questions.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i was told yes, i would cut down slowly
    zoiezmom

Answer by zoiezmom at 10:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I quit and my baby is healthy. I quit after I heard this.. Every time you smoke a cigarette it's like holding a baby's head underwater for 3 minutes because it constricts the umbilical cord. A woman who smokes baby's umbilical cord will be thinner at birth then a woman who doesn't smoke. Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of SIDS and other breathing disorders.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 7:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Many doctors suggest not quitting COLD TURKEY. They usually DO advise for you to stop, but just do to it over time. Cold turkey I'm sure works for some, but it's been suggested that if you are a smoker, especially a heavy one, that the stress from stopping cold turkey might not be good for baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010