How do you save money?

Do you cut coupons? get them off the web? how do you get the most out of your dollar? Im looking for some ideas, since im on a budget and want to get deals>

VGonzalez73

Asked by VGonzalez73 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We do costco and freeze, got to multiple stores based on whats on sale. Coupons dont really work for us because they dont have coupons for the stuff we use. We eat clean, meaning no white products, no flour, sugar...... It works for us.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• thanks voni, i am going to invest in a Costco card. My daughters' friends mother was telling me about the great deals shes gotten there. I just made some whole wheat bread today. I am wondering if canning food would be a good idea?
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I do cut coupons, every little bit helps. I also get store brand instead of name brand. Most of it is pretty much the same, diiferent name and price.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Our way of saving money is to not have luxery that we don't get the utmost use out of.
    We don't buy outside of our means.
    We dont' have things that we don't need.
    We go grocery shopping only when we absolutely have no other choice. Which is usually every 2-3 weeks.
    We don't have the latest technology, the latest toys, the fanciest furniture, or the designer clothes. We don't need any of that to be happy and our budget can't afford any of that even if we wanted it.

Our biggest thing is that we pay all of our bills. If we have one loan out then we don't get another loan. Importance comes before want. We don't go out to eat unless we're completely caught up and know that we'll be fine splurging a few bucks to do so. Our mortgage, our utilities, and our groceries are first priority. Everything else is a luxery, and if that doesn't fit into the budget then we don't need it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I buy staples in bulk, stuff like flour, sugar, rice, etc. I also use coupons, both from the paper & the internet, but only on stuff I would normally buy. I also shop sales & plan meals around what's on sale, buying & preparing in bulk for freezing.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• thanks Arenad, i feel the same way. I live very humble and don't have alot of fancy stuff..I just got the basics. I do try to make sure I have healthy food around for my children...organic is so expensive, though I do like the idea of no pesticides, i just scrub extra hard on the veggies and fruit. I don't take out loans. I pretty much figure if i can't buy it outright then its not worth having. I just can't afford interest rates or having to pay more in the long run for something I can buy right out with cash. I just like saving that extra penny.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!
    cont

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.