did anyone smoke while pregnant? If so did something really bad happen or are the doctors trying to scare us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did , my son was born 6lbs 8 oz, at the time they indicated smaller birth weight to smoking moms. He is now a healthy 17 yr old pain in the ass.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• i do not smoke, but i will tell you about children who i know personally that their mothers smoked throughout the pregnancy. they were all very small at birth and two of them have heart problems the doctors said was from their mother smoking. one also has some mental problems, but there is no definate proof that came from the mother smoking during pregnancy.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my mother smoked with both me and my sister when she was pregnant and we both were premature at 2pnds and had physical disabilities thankfully we were able to overcome. It's very real that smoking cause birth defects and premature infants. When she quit with my brother he was healthy at 9pnds and had no problems.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Honestly,not to be rude but this is a pretty dumb question.Smoking and second hand smoke is PROVEN to cause cancer and birth defects.That's why they force cigarette companies to have warnings from the surgeon general on the package. Please just give up your selfish addiction for at least the length of your pregnancy...who knows,maybe you will kick it for good during that time,save yourself some money and lower you and your child's risk of cancer.
    Mommy2ZOEBETH

Answer by Mommy2ZOEBETH at 9:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• its not that bad things happen every time, its that bad things CAN happen and it is ridiculous to take that chance...after you are not pregnant anymore and you want to continue to kill yourself then do it but while you have another human inside of you try to be a little less selfish temporarily
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't smoke so I didnt smoke when I was pregnant but my sister did and all 4 of her kids have asthma and breathing problems.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 9:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was advised to continue smoking while I was pregnant because I had come so close to miscarrying because of stress (my dad was sick, and passed away while I was pregnant). My doctor just told me to cut back. My daughter was 5lb, 3oz born at 38 or 39 weeks. I don't really think her size had much to do with me smoking, since the heaviest baby any woman has given birth to in my family in the past 65 years or more weighed about 7.5lb. She was perfectly healthy and gained weight really fast after she was born, just like all the rest of us did (I've been the only pregnant smoker that we know of in the family). I don't know a single woman who smoked while pregnant and had an unhealthy child. The only kids that have ended up unhealthy at all (like getting sick more often) are the two who are exposed to their parents smoking inside their apartment all the time. The rest of us smoke outside, away from our kids.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I did (unfortunately) with both of my children. Both were born the day after their due dates weighing in at 6lb 15oz and 7lbs 14oz and have no health problems. I am by no means saying that I condone smoking during pregnancy, just answering the question honestly. I am sure that I was one of the few "lucky" ones.
    Anonymous

• There is no garuntee that what we put into our bodies effect our unborn children in a negative way. However, there have been studies on specific things that show a greater number of negative reactions then not. Therefore, they warn us against certain things to try and prevent these negative things from happening. Whereas one women may never have anything go wrong in her pregnancy from smoking, the next women may have stunted her child's lung growth. It not only depends on the area you smoke in, but also how much you smoke within the day. Being in a small enclosed room you're constantly inhaling that smoke well after you've put your ciggerette out. Being outside the air carries that smoke away and you're not constantly inhaling it after you're done. The studies of that specific effect hasn't been truely conclusive yet, but it has shown negative effects can happen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why take such a chance. I read answers with people that said nothing happened good for them. If something happens you cant turn it around and that child has to live with your selfish act. Just kick the habit.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010