Has anyone taken the Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)?

I just took it last Friday at the employment department here in Oregon. I got "Gold" status. The highest was platinum status. I got a letter telling me I can show it at job interviews and or my current employer. I was told it will give me an edge on looking for and getting a job. The letter I recieved says it proves I have the workforce skills needed to succeed at my new job. I went to their website: www.workkeys.com and am still not sure how this is going to give me an edge. Does any one have this certificate or are you an employer and familiar with this?

VGonzalez73

Asked by VGonzalez73 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've never heard of that before. I'm wondering if it's something that only applies in Oregon. Was there an e-mail address or phone number on the letter you could contact to find out?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They told me it was Nationwide. I took it at our local Employment Department. I just wonder how "it will give me an edge"? I had never heard of it before, but i love taking tests (call me crazy) and like to know how I do. I hope it does give me an edge in todays bleak job search.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Hi. I’m working with Oregon’s NCRC program. Great question. B y earning an NCRC, you proved your foundational skills (congrats on earning Gold!) and showed a willingness to "go the extra mile" to get the job. I'm speaking with a lot of employers about how they use the NCRC. They say it makes a real difference to them that job applicants took the time and effort to complete the assessments. Make sure you include your certificate and Gold level on your resume with your other accomplishments. The NCRC is new in Oregon, so employers are just beginning to learn about it. If you interview with someone who isn’t familiar with it, the information on the back of your certificate can help you describe what Gold level means. Take a look at www.OregonNCRC.org. It includes stories of how employers are using it (check out Pacific Pellet). The location you earned your NCRC at may also have more information as well. Hope that helps!
    laurawieking

Answer by laurawieking at 10:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It does. thank you so much Laura. I thought i would share with other JOB Seekers and also try to let them know. I think it was a great test and like that I can retake it try for Platinum. I had to schedule an appt at the Employment office for those that might want to do it. It is a 3 hour time alloted test. I will definately look at the website you included in your answer. Pacific Pellet. Again, thanks so much for your response.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That would be great if you shared your experience! The website is www.OregonNCRC.org (Pacific Pellet is one employer that is using the NCRC in Oregon). I'm scheduled to take my assessments next week - I'm hoping for a Gold. =)
    laurawieking

Answer by laurawieking at 12:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Awesome. Good luck. Please let me know how you do! I know they test in 3 areas. I did great in Reading for Information and the other two Applied Math and Locating Information i did pretty good. I am really thinking i should try for the platinum status.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'd say go for it! The location you earned your certificate at should have online tutorials that can help you practice those areas that you need to bring up. I've done some of the practice sessions and they have been helpful for me to see what kinds of questions will be on the assessments. I'll let you know how I do.
    laurawieking

Answer by laurawieking at 12:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hi there, just to follow up. I earned a Gold! I was pretty excited, and I'm glad I can now call myself a certificate-holder. =)
    laurawieking

Answer by laurawieking at 6:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010