In the interest of "Fair and Balanced"--

Bush is out heavily promoting his book, and probably working harder than he ever has in his life in that vein. Many people have bought his "memoirs" and many more are planning on making the purchase. Some have even chastised those who have no interest in reading what he's trying to pass off as "history", implying that if we don't read it, we are shortchanging our understanding of that sad, dark period of our history. Maybe you're right. Continued in responses. . .

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 9:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe we should read it, if only to try to understand what he supposedly was thinking during those eight long years of his presidency. If, however, we are being encouraged to read this piece of . . . literature, then we should probably balance it out with something that just might contain other bits of truth that would naturally be overlooked. To those who are interested in a "Fair and Balanced" perspective of the Bush years, I offer you this: Family of Secrets: Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty, America's Invisible Government, and the Hidden History of the Last Fifty Years

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't consider it a sad dark period. That began in 2007 when progressives took over congress. It was expanded when Obama took office.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• In the interest of "fair and balanced" and since I have known the Bush family personally for the past 24 years, I can attest to the fact that they are not some deep, dark family with the kinds of salacious secrets you would expect to learn about in a Lifetime movie!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• And that book you suggest is propaganda. Bush sr was nobody and lost his first election less than fifty years ago.

He sites michael moore as a credible source for gods sake. The book is poorly researched and full of conspiracy theories. He makes some outrageous claims with no evidence whatsoever. And states Dan Rathers discredited claims That Bush dodged the draft. It is a waste of time to read. If I had more time I would cover all the horse shit in it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• So this is the "fair and balanced"? No wonder things are upside down.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have that book, jbenskert. It is pretty darn scary,isn't it.

And yes, it was a dark period in America's history. But who was really to blame? All of them,not just Georfge. He was dense...the rest of them (Cheney,Rumsfeld,etc) were crazy as foxes and did the dirty work.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• And. . . Bush's novel isn't propaganda? That was my point. There was a post here recently on which several women who were planning to buy the book were chastising women who have no interest in reading it. They were implying that a lack of interest in reading his book would keep the light from being shed on our ill-informed lives. How can anyone think that reading his book would reveal any truths? His book is as much propaganda as the one I'm promoting here, if not more.

Oh--and I'm far from impressed by anyone "knowing" the family for twenty-four years.  Fidel Castro has close family friends, too, after all.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• IDK, I don't really see it as fair & balanced. It's all opinion based. Bush is telling his story from his point of view. Some people would find that interesting. Some wouldn't. Some don't care what he has to say, and that's their deal. That's okay with me. If it was a dark period of your life, then I would speculate that it had way more to do with other things than Bush's presidency. Same with the current administration. While I don't like Obama's policy and I have a fundamental difference of opinion on things, I do not hold him personally responsible (or Biden for that matter) for the problems I face today.

What the heck is the problem with Cheney? I don't think he's all that bad. LOL, you all act as though he is the devil in disguise. I would roll my eyes at the general reaction his name insights from liberals, but I am laughing too darned hard.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Quinn.....better Google Dick Cheney and do some other reading about him. It s not a pretty picture. He's not an honorable man.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• QM- Dick Cheney is shifty-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010