Poopy baby (TMI I guess)

So my daughter is about to turn one and I started giving her a little whole milk in her bottles a couple weeks ago just like my doctor told me to. The problem is the milk seems to make her poop a lot more and they are soft and smellier. She used to poop once a day or every other day and now it is at least 4 a day. It isn't seeming to bother her other than all the poops are giving her a diaper rash. Is this a big problem? Should I switch milks or just stop giving milk at all and stick with formula for now. She has an appointment on the 23rd so I don't really want to make another unless it is really important.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 9:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop giving her the milk.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• She isn't ready for the cow's milk, stop giving it to her. It's possible she has an allergy to it as well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I agree, stop the milk until your appointment and just go back to the formula until you can discuss it with the doctor. The milk may not be agreeing with her. You can also try rice milk which is more gentle on the tummy, but not as much fat or protein as the formula which is why I would stick with that. My DD has a milk allergy and we left her on formula until 18 months, we just eventually gave it in place of milk to drink rather than as the primary source of food once she started eating more solids. Now she gets rice milk. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would take her off it for a week and see if that gets her back to 'normal' My doctor told me when I start my son on whole milk to mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with formula for a couple weeks to ease it into his diet. So maybe once she is back to her normal pooping schedule try that. If she starts to poop that often again there is a good chance she is lactose intolerant. One thing is for sure you don't want to let her keep pooping that much or she will get dehydrated-I would also be giving her water (in a bottle or sippy) to help with that.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Sounds like my son who was allergic to milk.... I would say stop till your apt.!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 7:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010