Is there any signs to look for when a girl is about to start her first period?

I have an 11 year old girl and can't remember if there was any signs to watch for, to know about when she might start her first period. I was told she would get a different smell to her. I have noticed she kind of smells if she doesnt shower at least every other night. Is that an early sign that she may start puberity?

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 9:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I can remember(how when I forget why I went into the kitchen) but I can remember getting a whitish discharge for a short time before "it" happened. Just prepare her and make sure she always has an "emergency" supply with her. Backpack, locker, you get the point. The only thing scarier than starting your period for your first time is having a visible "accident".
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 9:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am getting prepared for this with my 10 year old. I got a book to help me with some info. They start deveoping breasts first then the period starts later. If she hasn;t gotten there yet, you are good for a while.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The usual PMS symptoms and LOTS of fatigue.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I started when i was 13. I got a whitish discharge, usual pms signs.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Usually thick whitish discharge, and sometimes you're right about the B.O.- but some girls get that a while before the period, just like most girls get hair under their arms first. But if you're asking for, "It'll be within the next week" signs, I'm not sure there are any other than the girl's emotions & what her body tells her. Hugs!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think one of the signs that she's ready to start her period is mood swings and always complaining about her stomach hurting.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Body odor is a typical sign of puberty, but I don't know that it will neccessarily be a sign of period being ready to start.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010