how to get my 18 month old to stop biting?

i have a 4 year old that i broke of biting at this age but the same methods dont phase my 18 month old she bites her sister occasionally and she bites at daycare where i work as her teacher.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she has bitten someone, try holding her shoulders so she has to look at you and saying, NO BITING! TIME OUT! and put her in time out. When she has served her time out sentence, make her hug the child she has bitten. You are going to have to watch her closely for biting and be very consistent with this. If you think it is an attention getter for her, try giving more attention to the child who has been bitten (her sister). This will show her that she has hurt her sister.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• With mine I would give them a stern look, use a firm tone and say "NO biting. Biting hurts" and then I would redirect them. The key is to be firm, and be consistent.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I bit back and hard! It only took once!
    Anonymous

• Depends on what he/she is biting. If it's your breast take him off for a while and keep doing until he stops. And if that does work see answer above. You don't have to do it hard though. Just enough for them to know that it's not pleasant.
    UVWray

Answer by UVWray at 5:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010