Amputee and pregnant?

Are you or do you know anyone that is/was a below the knee amputee while pregnant? I am a right leg below the knee amputee and 25 weeks pregnant.

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No I don't. But I want to wish you the best of luck and your baby isn't going to see you as anything other than "mommy".
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 9:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I fully agree with Duckylicious! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't know anyone with your handicap, but I am handicapped also. Broke my neck in high school and had a stroke in 2006. This has not slowed me down as a mom though. I have to do somethings a little different, like my DS,2, who now weighs 36lbs., knows that if he wants me to hold him I have to sit down I can't just pick him up. Both of my boys,11 and 2, don't see my physical problems, they just see their mom. Good luck with your little one!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• This web page has some very good information from an amputee mom... http://www.amputeemommy.com/Pregnancy.html

She describes what she went through and gives encouragement. Take some time to read it over. Good luck with your pregnancy! You will be a wonderful mother because your heart doesn't live through your legs.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am not as worried about my child seeing me differently, but I am having extra problems with swelling and they say it will just get worse and nothing can be done, but bed rest or I can't wear my leg, I hate feeling like I can't wear my leg and not doing things for myself. And being pregnant on crutches isn't to easy with the belly and being off balance.
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was thinking just that about the swelling! My FIL is a below the knee amputee and so is my father so I know the troubles and discomfort that comes along with that! I broke my foot while preg and they had me in a boot. It was awful, and caused hip problems later from the off balance. I do know, keep it elevated, and ice helps for swelling, so does massage. Hang in there! I do get your battle a little bit!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was worried about your balance as well. I know you don't want to but if it gets bad I would get a chair just to avoid a late pregnancy fall. Ask your doctor about those stockings they put on you durring and after surgery, you know the ones that inflate and deflate regularly, and maybe try using them at night while you sleep. And try to elevate your legs throughout the day. But seriously be safe about your balance I fell while I was pregnant with my son and almost fell a few times, and I have no excuse why, other than just being off balance.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 10:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was a below the knee amputee from April of 1987 til just this last September when we had to amputate above the knee because of some major health concerns. I have been pregnant 4 times. I have a ten yr old son & twins 5 yr old sons. I lost my daughter in May 2004 and am pregnant now. So you name it, Ive been there. I have gone through the swelling, not being able to wear my prosthesis, months of bedrest, losing a baby, mrsa during pregnancy... any questions you have you can ask me. My email is JPowers.518@gmail.com.

Right off the bat I would tell you to defenatly get a pregnancy pillow to support your stump, and elevate it as much as possible because it swells so easily. As far as balance, you know when you walk how sometimes your artificial foot will not hit the ground evenly, that can through you off, so be careful. Also you have to be very careful about taking care of any type of wound you may get on your stump.
    MommyPowers518

Answer by MommyPowers518 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2010