9 month olds sleeping.

I have a 9 month old. He goes to bed between 7 and 9pm everynight. But his sleeping is so irregular. usually he'll wale up crying a couple of times between when he goes to sleep (7-9pm) and when he wakes up between (6-7am) but for instance last night he woke up 7 times crying and after each time he took maybe one oz of the bottle then went back to sleep. I dont understand why he is up so many times throughout the night and i KNOW it wasnt from teething because i know his cries and how he acts when he's in pain or bothered and that wasnt it. I have spoken to a few people and they say a baby at 9 months should be sleeping from 7pm-7am easily but of course when he's feeling normal and that he is just use to me coming to his every need and he's spoiled. also that i should give him 3 nights of letting him cry and get the picture that he needs to sleep through the night. could someone please help. im really clueless and confused.

momamay2010

Asked by momamay2010 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is almost 1 and I still struggle with him at night most nights. I started a routine now of keeping him up as long as I can- not letting him nap after 4 or 5. He drinks a bottle about 1 hour before bedtime and then I give him a small bowl of rice right before bed. He wakes up for his paci several times a night usually and ocassionally gets up once for another bottle and snuggle time. I'm extremely tired of waking up with him from 4-6 am! I'm at the end of my rope and pray he starts sleeping through the night every night. I'm exhausted. Try to set up your own routine, one that works for you, and keep it consistant. It may take a few attempts, but soon we'll have these silly babies sleeping great! Good Luck!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• before bed he eats pasta, lots of pasta. then when its time for him to sleep i lay him down in the crib, slightly tilted up and feed him his bottle. usually sucks down like 6-8oz. then i give him his binkie and he rolls on his side with his blankie and falls asleep. everytime throughout the night that he wakes up, this routine is the same.
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my dd is 9 months and doesnt sleep thu the night as well! ive done it all from rice in the bottle and the CIO method nothing works! we even have a set bed time routine that she has had since birth! i just gave up and she will learn one day i hope! she goes to bed at 9pm and wakes up at 12am, 3am, 6am and wakes up between 8am-9am! i try to rock her back to sleep sometimes but most of the time i have to give her a 6oz bottle of BM for her to go back to sleep! sorry not much help but if u find some magical thing that works let me know im all ears!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• whats dd? ive only been on cafemom a few times lol sorry but yeah if i had that extra 3 hours i think i wouldnt be so tired! but i go to bed at 10pm then wake up at 12, 2, 4, then wakes up between 5 and 7am. thanks for all your helps guys! and goodluck to you too
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Have to tried feeding him something other than pasta before bed? Maybe all the pasta upsets his tummy.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• yessss ive tried rice cereal, other food, bananas, half sauged cherrio's, and like 20 other things. ughh! lol
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Hmmmm.... Maybe a warm bath before bed? Im reaching..
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have a couple suggestions, 1) it possibly could be colic, My oldest had that and she would be up most of the night crying. 2) try feeding some baby food about an hour or so before bed and then at bed time give him a warm bottle. Also every child is different with sleeping, Both my children ages 5 & 6 still don't really sleep through the night, they continue to wake up and come in my room. I wish you the best of luck I know how hard it can be with a baby that has bad sleeping habits. GOOD LUCK!!!
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 10:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would feed him the pasta, etc at least an hour before bed time, and then give the bottle before bed but I would try giving it to him on your lap and then giving him a little burp after in case he is getting an upset tummy. People always have lots to say about kids sleeping thru and cry it out, but my DD (dear daughter) didn't sleep thru until almost a year. At 9 mos she usually got up once at night to eat. Maybe try to feed him only once, like at 2 or 4 and maybe he will eat more and then sleep longer. You have to decide if he's waking for hunger or soothing or because he's uncomfortable. I truly thought my DD needed the bottle so I fed her, and at that age I still would go just to comfort, too. Everyone has an opinion but you have to decide what's best for your baby. Trust your gut. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• you guys are awesome thanks for the help so much really and truly! i am going to try feeding a bottle before bed instead of in bed and see how that goes. i usually feed him the bottle laying down in bed because he falls asleep with it in his mouth, so i give him the binkie and he goes na nights but maybe if i feed him the bottle before bed, when i put him in his crib he will just go right to sleep. THANKS AGAIN!! YAY NEW IDEA :)
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010