I need some help on getting my twenty month old to eat (she's very picky!!)

capuchina

Asked by capuchina at 6:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I can suggest is to NOT make her her own meal, ever! It may be hard but stick to it. Also, if you expect them to eat veggies and stuff, you need to too. So start by showing them what your eating.... slowly they will try it. My 2 yr old actually eats salad... he was very picky, we're working on other veggies but it's coming. The biggest mistake is feeding them something toher than what you are having though.... unless its just a snack. Try to also eat all meals with her, slowly it should work.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• find things that she likes and then introduce her to things that are similar and tell her it is the same thing as what she likes? My daughter for a while wouldn't eat chicken unless it was a "chicken nugget" so i just started telling her that any chicken was a "chicken nugget" and now she eats chicken all the time (she is 22 months)
    photomamma1220

Answer by photomamma1220 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my daughter is a picky lil eater too i feel for you Finally i started to give her a snck 2 and half hrs before dinner than she would sometimes eat but not all the time.My daughter love CHICKEN NUGGETS i get so tired os making the same thing everyday .Had a friend of mine tried new things on Shiree and i found out certain things she likes.Belive me i know its hard ahving a picky eater iam still going though it:)GOOD LUCK
    browneyedgir186

Answer by browneyedgir186 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Keep her down to 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of diluted juice a day. All other liquids are water. This will make her hungrier for food and more likely to eat what's in front of her. Just keep on giving her foods, she'll try them eventually. I've heard it takes 10 times for a kid to try something they don't want to try. 10 times, but it's worth it for her nutrition in the long run. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• my sons the same way lil picky guy lol....he wont eat chicken he wont eat ham he wont eat any kind of meat so what i do is trick him....ill put the meat on the fork first then cover it up with a greenbean or somthing he likes. the good thing is he loves vegis and fruits so im proud of that but even that doesnt work sometimes so ill show him and pretend to break the peice off of mine and eat my half saying mmmm yummy...and give him his peice and it works!...i couldnt believe it lol...good luck
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Remember, it takes 10 times of eating a food you don't like to "Learn to Like it". You can actually learn to like food, but you need to try it up to ten times for certain foods. If you and your SO or family at home are picky, so will she. I eat Green Beans and Broccoli (which I don't like or at least didn't) so that my twins will see that I will too eat something that I don't like. I was also raised that if it is put on the table (with the exception of two foods that we didn't have to like and didn't have to eat) you will take a small portion and eat it. My twins also will love something one meal and hate it the next time we have it. I give them a main dish, veggie, and fruit with a glass of milk.
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If there is one thing that they won't eat, they still have something else to eat, but that is all they get. Right now they are 33 months, but soon, they won't get that luxury, because we don't want to be wasteful, so they will at some point eat everything on their plate. Reason for this, it starts at home, so if you are out and about, they will have the same manners else where. Jerry Sinfelds wife also wrote a great book about puree' and hiding the good stuff in the food. (I'm sorry I don't remember her name, but she was on Oprah) Good luck!
    sammyjnrtwins06