is it bad that my 3 yr old doesnt have a bed time?

he takes late naps... and daddy doesnt get home til at least 9.. i know when he goes to school he will need one... sometimes its 1 am when he passes out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not if he doesn't have to get up in the morning for anything. My son didn't have a bedtime until he started Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It's not good, like you said he will need one for school. If he never has had one though you will have a fight on your hands. The younger you start the easier it will be.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Mine have always had a bed time so that I could keep my sanity, now that they're in school they put themselves to bed. You're going to have a huge mess on your hands if you don't do something about this now. Man, I can't imagine having all of my kids up until 1 am!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• does he have a "wake up" time? as long as he gets his 10 hours? every night you are fine!
    the summer before he starts school, you may want to up his bedtime one hour every two weeks or so.
    for right now, letting him spend time with his dad far outweighs being on a schedule that suits 9 to 5'rs.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would try to get him to go to bed earlier then 1a
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Wow- maybe our house is strict but my son has always had a regular bedtime. It can fluctuate occassionally if we are out or something special but for the most part he is in bed by 7 every night and up by 6 every morning- even on the weekends.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think bed times are good it helps establish a schedule a routine which for children if they know their schedule it can make their day a lot easier for them and on the parents as well. My daughter was at a very young age put to bed by 9, 10 at the latest some exceptions on holidays or special occasions. But she started 3yr old head start this year and she is in bed by 8 and up by 7. And i am grateful she already had a schedule set in place, it made it a lot easier.You better start setting him on a schedule it is best for the whole family..
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• no, i'm a believer that kids should set their own schedule, when they can. kids will rest as needed, eat as needed, etc. they are intune with their bodies... my girls take naps as needed... sure i suggest as i see them wearing down that they "rest" but i don't force sleep or whatever on them... they do go to their bedroom by 10pm everynight... but they have "quiet" toys in their room, like books that they are free to explore until they fall asleep.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No. If y'all don't have to get up in the morning, then there's no reason to keep a strict bed time. Once school starts, sure, you'll need one, but for now, not so much.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010