dd is sick... Need advice

my 11 y/o is vomiting and has diharria (spelling?) she refuses to take pepto. What should I give her? Its not bad enough to go to the doc, it just started a little bit ago.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 10:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• jst what she wants unless it gets worse
    mommydown

Answer by mommydown at 1:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• NOTHING. Just try to get her to drink clear liquids. Flat coke works wonders for tummy troubles. Sprite type soda, saltine crackers. I'm with your daughter, Pepto makes me sicker.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Push gatorade or pedialyte to keep her hydrated. Give her applesauce, bananas, toast, and rice if she will eat it...vomiting up food is better than dry heaves anyway and she may keep it down long enough to get some nutrients from it.
    As long as she is peeing 1 time every 12 hours she isn't dehydrating.

If she starts running a fever and you can't keep it down or she can't keep down the tylenol due to puking, take her in.
    It's probably a stomach bug that should pass in 24 hours...if not, call the doc.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Actually, you should NOT give a child under 18 pepto (unless it is the child's version). It contains aspirin and could cause Reye's Syndrome in certain circumstances.

Give her plenty of fluids, pedialyte would do well. Imodium makes something for kids as welll. There are some children's anti nausea meds for kids, but I usually just give tums, or the childrens pepto. Benedryl, although it is an antihistimine, is also an anti nausea medication.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• pedialyte or any sports drink will be good for her. my pediatric nurse told me to give my daughter popsicles. and i agree about sprite and crackers, that's all i would eat as a kid when i was sick.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• they have over the counter anti nausia pills ( you just swallow, not a chewable)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i would say ginger ale as it has stomach soothing properties. let it runs its course . i dont think i would take pepto for that-she will probably just throw it up. saltines and ginger ale when she is feeling a little better. make sure she is hydrated. some bugs last 24-48 hours. i wouldnt call doctor unless you suspect she is dehydrated and needs a doctors care. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They make a childrens chewable pepto and Its bubble gum flavor. I give it to my son when his tummy isnt well. Otherwise push the fluids...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 5:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I always use the BRAT diet= bananas,rice, applesauce,and toast. I also add a sport drink or f;at sprite.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Nothing until she is done vomiting for a few hours or more, then try some Sprite or Coke on ice chips, and work your way up to a light soft diet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010