my doc said if he induce me I'll have more pain during labor, true?

He told me to walk for more than 2 hrs a day to start labor, which i'm trying to do now. Did walking help you go into labor faster? When you are having contraction can you even walk? I heard that walk while you in labor will help the process go faster. I'm 36wks now, about to go into 37

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is common that induced labor causes more intense contractions and increases the chance of back labor. However, most induced labors also mean that the mom wants to be induced and will also request an epidural.
    Walking will help but keep in mind that 40 weeks is not always 40 weeks and the date can be off as much as 2 weeks. It's an estimate.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Why are they trying to start your labor now? If you're only 37 weeks you could easily have another 3-5 weeks to go before your labor starts, due dates are little more than guesses. That said, IF you can walk or not is up to how strong your tolerance for pain is and how bad your labor is. I never walked or anything because I was induced both times - I hope to be induced with this one. It was wonderful! I had two completely pain free deliveries, as soon as I felt my first pain, I got my epidural, went to sleep & they woke me up when it was time to push... No pain ever! I'm due in Dec with my third and I'm looking forward to induction & epidural delivery, just like I had the first two times...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I was induced and it was AWFUL! Avoid it if you can.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 10:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you're induced they will likely give you pitocin to start contractions which causes strong contractions so it could definitely be more painful than progressing naturally. I would say to just try and hang in there. Your body will go into labor when the baby is ready, you aren't even at 40 weeks yet so it seems early to be getting inpatient. I was induced at 39 weeks due to high blood pressure and once labor got started it was painful and I couldn't get up and walk or try all the other coping things I had planned because of the pitocin drip, the monitors, etc. I was pretty much stuck in the bed. I would try to avoid induction if it isn't medically necessary. I promise you that baby will be here eventually! :) Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my doctor told me it wasnt true but i dont believe him ;) either way i had an epidural
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have four kids, I've done it both ways two times, and didn't see a difference. Labor hurts period. If you need an induction, don't let everyone scare you with horror stories. Mine were all pleasant and successful and so were many others I know.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• he wants me to go into labor soon, b/c I have gestation diabete, but baby is around 6lbs according to the hospital sonogram last week, not sure how accurate that is tho
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• its not that its more painful but that its "oh i feel nothing" to "holy crap labor hurts!" in no time. there is no gradual increase in contractions, they just come on full force out of nowhere. at least that was my experience. it wasnt bad or more painful than i expected, just more intense for a shorter amount of time.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Heck yes it will hurt worse!!!!!! It causes way strong contractions. It also ups the odds of a c-sec because its artificially starting labor and a lot of time it fails. And c-secs hurt for months. I've had natural birth and c-sec and was induced with the c-sec. Walk, have sex, eat spicy food, whatever you can do that is safe to avoid induction!!!!! Btw, I did all 3 on delivery day and it started contractions. I was also walking for 2+ hours everyday leading up to it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If you want to start labor "naturally" nad keep it going talk to a Labor Doula or a massage therapist trained in pregnancy/labor massage. Many have little tricks to help induce labor and keep it going steadly. They may also know things to help with pain managment. I personally have helped induce 2 labors and have helped with pain management in 5 labors. It really can be useful.
    windyraindancer

Answer by windyraindancer at 11:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2010