No presents for Christmas

We decided years ago that Christmas has become way to commercial. So we celebrate family on that day. We cook some great food, we play games and always watch Christmas Story. This will be our 6th year, no CC bills, no money spent and no stress. Whoooo it really is the way to go. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it is a wonderful idea. When our children are older will probably do the same, but now we enjoy the git stuff too much. Our kids never get spoiled, but it is still fun.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• we have done something kinda like that, but we would make each family member 1 present and have a great dinner and talk about our year and what we liked and what we want for the next year. its always been so stress free and i never felt "gipped" or "left out" of the x-mas hype
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We don't have children yet, and have been doing this for 10 years. Instead of being forced into purchasing Christmas presents, we generally take a trip as a gift, leaving the drama of family gatherings far behind...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think its a good idea. I would only add that instead of watching a movie that the head of the household recite parts of the Bible on the REAL reason for Christmas. I also think its good to give to charity during the holidays(and all year-round). Helping out those that are less fortunate. Not just opting out of gift-giving because its less stressful and convienent.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Actually sounds pleasant but I really enjoy giving as well. My kids love waking up to Santa's gifts on Christmas morning and we love seeingthem so excited. I think we incorporate family as well as gifts and it works for us.
    I also love GoodyBrooks holiday trip in place of gifts. That's definitely something I would discuss with hubby for future years.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We have never had any CC bills or dept or any of that either, and guess what, we still have gifts for not one but THREE holidays... We simply shop year round & shop smart. Most of the gifts are bought with gift cards I get for free by doing internet searches and the rest are bought hear and there through the year when we see good stuff on clearance... Christmas, Yule & Gift Day (which is my mother's version of Christmas & our third "holiday) all have gifts involved... Yet and depending on the day they are all about different forms of family to us. Gifts don't lower the value of the day, or raise the dept & stress if you do it right... Some of my most prized possessions were childhood Christmas gifts, I can't imagine not having gifts for my babies...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• im pretty sure we're doing this this year... im starting out on my own this year as a single mom and this will be our first holiday without Him. so im not wanting to do the whole tree and gift thing. im thinking just a nice day of lovely foods and a couple of gifts for the girls. that's it. i dont want to worry about whether or not they feel like they get enough (oldest is 3yrs) or stressing over getting that PERFECT toy. im thinking a small stocking for jade. one toy for ava (shes 3 months now) and then a couple of toys for jade. low key.
    Groove

Answer by Groove at 11:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think it's great if your family enjoys it. We do the same stuff pretty much, but we also exchange gifts. Even though the gifts definitely aren't was Christmas is about to us, it's a tradition and we like it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• If your children are happy with the tradition you are providing then it’s all the matters.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have not used credit cards for years......The kids each get a few presents, we do a lot of hand crafted items (and some are very nice, better than store bought) and we eat like hogs. We talk, have fun, play video games.....exchange gifts, the younger kids get some store bought things (this year I got them pillow pets). Everyone gets something to take home, we all get full---and that's it.

Big ticket items are not on our shopping list ever....takes a lot of stress out of the holiday. My daughter swaps with other crafters for gifts, and I do a bit of swapping too----it all works out. She crochets, and swaps with those that sew--for gifts for her kids, and the family.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010