Health

My oldest daughter has a dry scaly rash on her stomach where she wears her belt and on her scalp and now on her arm. She thinks its eczema but I don't know could she have psoriasis? She has no health insurance and wants me to get her a prescription for eczema. I told her to try cortaid and she says that helps the itch but doesnt go away. She is unemployed.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Health

• I know this is not a common type of skin ailment, but if it's really scaly it could be ichthyosis. My brother has had this his whole life and was finally diagnosed in high school. His skin looked like fish scales when it flared up and lotion would help a little bit, but not very much. You should go to the doctor since it is really hard to self-diagnose any kind of skin problem.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• better than a lotion, cream or medication, is to find the culprit. it can be hard, inconvenient and tedious, but well worth it. she could try more natural hair products, maybe burt's bees. she could try all natural lotions for her body, like shea butter. maybe take fish oil daily too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• She'll have no idea of knowing what it is until she gets it checked, but she can try any sort of hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps. You can get that over the counter at any drug store or even grocery stores, for that matter. Just be aware that skin sensitivities can be tricky: anything you try has the potential of making it worse.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Natural is the best way to go prescriptions can a lot of the time lead to more problems down the road with their side effects. However it is very difficult to give any advise without first having a diagnosis.. I hope that I can help more once she finds out what it is.
    homewithmyheart

Answer by homewithmyheart at 11:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010