Pets

Does anyone have pugs? Do they have a funny smell and need a bath quite often? Also do they have a really hard time breathing, it seems my pug sounds as if he will have a heartattack sometimes.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Pets

• You can get these pads like tucks (for hemorrhoids) to clean out the folds on the face. The snoring or loud breathing is due to the short composition of the structure of their noses. If you dog is smelly try Nova Pears it is an awesome dog shampoo.
    I love my pug this is my third one. I would never consider their breathing an issue. But my vet told me that when they fix my puppy they will open up her nasal passage inside. It is a simple surgical procedure that will help with the breathing problems.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i love pugs! all dogs with smushed faces have issues breathing and most snore asleep and away because their air way is basically blocked. i have an english bulldog and she snores even when she is awake lol! all dogs should be bathed on a regular base. im a professional groomer and short hair dogs dont usually smell as much as long or medium haired dogs. but still to keep their coat and skin clean need to be washed. and with a damp cloth get into their face folds daily.
    mamajennie31010

Answer by mamajennie31010 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• lol, yes, my pug snores 24/7, very loudly too.
    and he is pretty stinky as well.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• they do need a bath like every 2wks and the breathing is because of the way the face is o n becarful cause the do pass gas alot lol
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I don't have a smell issue (except gas), but the breathing thing is normal. She snores like you wouldn't believe too. My sis has a pug too, I've never heard anything about a smell issue from her either.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I do not have a pug but the small dogs who have the "smashed" type faces do need to be washed regularly especially their faces as in the crevices they can get funk and bacteria. So I think you are supposed to make sure and clean out all his wrinkles and stuff so they don't get gunky and stinky! Also, those dogs with "smashed" type faces have difficulty breathing. If you are worried about that you could ask your vet (about the smell too). It could be a sign of bacteria.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I have never had a pug but have worked with many. They are a breed that tends to have skin problems, plus the folds on their face is the perfect place for yeast to grow.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010