New-to-you used cars - would you compromise this way?

We have a little car with a manual transmission that DH picked out, but I really don't like having a little car...I want more space to haul our crap (and kids) around, and I want to sit higher, so I can see better that way. The tax return plan has been for me to get a new-to-me used mom-mobile. I've been looking at older station wagons and minivans, with an automatic transmission, because I prefer not having to think about shifting. But, at the same time, I don't particularly like the idea of having two cars, because we really don't need two. So, I've been looking at Hyundai Santa Fes, which both DH and I like, and most of the ones in my price and mileage range have manual transmissions. I can drive it, we can share it...but do I want to give up my dream of an automatic transmission?? Would you?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 10:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Shopping

• I was going to get a manual tranmission, but then my dad pointed out that with shifting and possibly dealing with kids, wouldn't an automatic be better. I thought about it and agreed. I got the automatic.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• No way. My husband just bought a new Mazda 3 and it's a stick. He has taught me to drive it but I would never give up my older automatic for even a brand new stick shift.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I am with layh...

Manuals are great on gas mileage but if you have kids to deal with, shifting and kids drawing your attention away is not that great. Also if you are going to be doing most of your driving in town, you will constantly be shifting which will get really old.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Manuals do get better gas mileage.... and I personally enjoy driving them more.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I prefer an automatic now that I have kids. I'd sacrifice a brand new car for one that's a year or two old that has the features you're looking for.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I'd go for an automatic. I like manuals, even though I don't get to drive one all that often, but with small kids it's just so much better with the automatic.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Automatic...leave the manual for when you decide to get a sports car toy someday. All my every day cars have been automatic except for my 79 vette I now have and the 95 porche I once had.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Which vehicle is more economically sound? (I'm not even sure if that question makes sense.) If you know how to drive a standard transmission vehicle and if the Sante Fe only comes in standard transmission, I'd say suck it up. I would.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Automatic is so much easier and less stressful.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010