Throwing fits ...

My 17 month old son has started to throw fits (and truth be told, it is very cute that he's developing his own wants and likes and such, but I don't want him to think throwing fits gets him what he wants!). If I ask him to do something and he doesn't want to he will look at me and get a grouchy face and "grunt" and stiffen up his body. Tonight we were at dinner and he had had enough of sitting still, so he looked at me and got stiff throughout his body and screamed. How do you deal with your LO when they act up in public. I don't want to give him enough attention in relation to his bouts that he thinks it will get me to give in!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 11:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL! I'm sorry, but I had to laugh bc my 13 month old is slowing starting this. His pediatrician told me at his last appt that at this age it starts happening. She said the best thing to do it ignore it and don't give in. We'll see how well that works out. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• omg my son is 11 1/2 months he'll be 1 this saturday he does the same hahaah oh mann idk wut to do either! lol
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• At home ignore it...in public remove them from the situation or take them to a quiet isle or corner until the moment has passed. At that age distraction is best if distracting them doesn't work ignoring it usually does. At that age it is for attention but eventually it becomes about control...let them know who is in control and negative behavior will not get them what they want.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 11:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I often ignore it when it is appropriate to too (not at a nice dinner place or somewhere where it isn't socially acceptable) ... perhaps this is the time that we stop going to nice restaurants and start enjoying the world of McDs? Before I ignore it though, I calmly try to tell him that mommy needs him to do this or that, or that I asked him to stop, I don't know if he totally gets everything I'm saying, but he sure seems to understand. That way I'm not just ignoring him for no reason, but he knows that mommy doesn't listen to whining or fussies. I have also tried distractions, but I think he's caught on to that too and gets even more upset when I try to pull that one.
    TarraJoy

Comment by TarraJoy (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• lol, sorry, sister! my 19mo ds doesn't throw fits, but when he does get testy and in trouble, he takes advantage of the fact that i am 38wks pregnant and pretty slow to move. When I do get onto him and correct him, he points with his palm up, sticks out his lip and says, "meh? meh?" as in, "What did I do?"

I have to try hard to ignore it, but he will do it until I crack a smile. Then he'll run to me laughing, or with a really cheesy smile and a hug.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I would avoid McD's like the plague...Subway is a much better thing to get them into...if I would have never made that trip into McD's with my kids I wouldn't be having the argument of why we can't go there anymore...I agree with explaining to them you will not tolerate their behavior before ignoring them it is also good to tell them as soon as you calm down you can have mommy's attention again...they may not understand at first but they'll get the general idea.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 12:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I tend to just ignore! I dont feed into it so they dont do it because it gets no attention from me.
    2Kiddos2Sweet

Answer by 2Kiddos2Sweet at 3:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Give NO attention to him when he is doing this. If he wants to scream or have a fit, he can do it in a designated place in your home.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010