• In the Spotlight:

EYE GUNK?

MY DD WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH GREENISH GOO ALL IN HER EYES. WHAT CAUSES THIS?

pinkclover

Asked by pinkclover at 7:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hello my dear friend.. she could either have a bacterial infection... baby pink eye, or a clogged tear duct... when my son was 8 days old some friends brought their son over... and I thought that he gave him pink eye.. imagine, no sleep mama, and she wakes up to find her new baby with goo over his eyes.. well, to be on the safe side, my Ped gave us drops, and said two, four times a day, plus a squirt of breast milk... and it worked like a charm, eventually i deduced it to clogged duct... Hugs...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It's possible she has a clogged tear duct. Check her eye for redness and signs of pinkeye, if there are none, it's probably the duct is clogged and there's nothing you can do. It's just something she'll outgrow over time. Clean her eye regularly with a warm damp rag. If yu're not convinced that it's not infected, ask her pediatrician to look at it.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 7:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Her tear duct is probably clogged. My daughter had this problem when she was a baby. Try massaging the inner corner of her eyes this can loosen any gunk lodged in the drains for her eyes :)
    photomamma1220

Answer by photomamma1220 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It could be pink eye.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Could be a blocked tear duct (can hang around until age 1), but it could also be conjunctivitis, and that needs antibiotics... I would take her to the ped.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It's a blocked tear duct and a mild cold. If her eyeball is bloodshot, she needs prescription meds. If her eyeball is white and looks healthy just wash the gunk off with a clean warm rag in the morning. Massage her nose to her eye corner with clean fingers will help it open back up. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• her eyes look a bit cloudy but not bloodshot!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i jsut got bk from the hospital b/c my daughter has breathing problems. she also had a greenish yellowish gunk in her eye. Didn't think anythign of it. The dr was very concerned that I didn't think anything of it b/c it was pink eye., Her eye wasn't very pink all..
    MadeylnsMom

Answer by MadeylnsMom at 10:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• you could try dripping some breast milk in since it is antiseptic. Also holding a cotton ball soaked in warm chamomile tea or water on the corner of her eye.
    selkie

Answer by selkie at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008