How did/do you keep your toddler from pulling on your Christmas tree?

I'm set on putting our tree up this year, but I'm concerned about my son pulling on it and crawling underneath of it. I don't know how I'm going to keep him away from it. He's 13 months and tries to touch and grab EVERYTHING. Any suggestions?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just told them no. If they went for it, it was another stern warning. And with repetition they realized that it was a no no and stayed away from it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ya know, my kids were really grabby, but I never had an issue with the tree for some reason! Just make sure your glass ornaments are up higher on the tree. Just wait and see what he does first.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Last year my son kept trying to grab on our tree and we pretty much did what Melbornj said.. But we also put most of the ornaments and everything higher up so he couldnt pull any off.. Needless to say our tree was kind of funny looking but whatever, lol. GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• w/my 1 yr old he liked pulling out the ornaments. we ended up decorating only half of the tree, the top part where he wasnt able to reach ornaments.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• show them it i let my son have a christmas ball it was bright red and had no sharp thing on it i kept it on the floor by the tree he would play with it instead of messing w/ tree..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• The same way you keep them away from anything. Lots of no's and stop thats. We put only plastic ornaments down low on the tree. We kept the breakables at the top! I actually had a little fence we used for the dogs before we had kids. It was very successful at keeping them away. Its one of the lighted ones that I put around the tree her first Christmas. Last year, my hubby's grandmother with dementia was living with us...the fence was more for her than my DD then! :-)
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I just consistently told him no. I also used the "shatterproof ornaments" exclusively on my tree until he got old enough not to try and get them. I figured that way if he did get to the tree, if it fell over at least he wouldn't get cut!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Last year we put a large gate around ours and just put soft ornaments (without hooks) on the bottom where he could reach through. I'm worried about how it will go this year now that he's two though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just keep on him, he will learn you mean business, if you are consistant.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010