How much space do you want/need for your family?

Apartment, house, whatever. What is your minimum sq. ft. requirement? Why?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 11:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think 2000 sq feet is good for a family of 4...but my dream is to have a hobby farm....so I think I'd like some nice private yard space.
    anthrolovinmom

Answer by anthrolovinmom at 11:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• About 1500 is our absolute minimum. We are in a house that is 1800 and it is comfortable but I would love it to be bigger. We are going to be having out fourth and it really will not work for us any more but it also comes down to the number of bedroom for us. We need at least a 4 bedroom house.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• We just recently down sized from a 4400sf home. To an 1100sf home. It's terrible! I can't even turn around in this house without bumping something. 4400 was nice, but we honestly didn't NEED it. I'd say 1800-2000 would be good for my family.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 1600 sq ft for a family of 5. Three kids- each should have their own room. Nice size kitchen- I hate not having room in the kitchen! A house with a den would be ideal, so my hubby can have his man cave.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• One day, I hope we have a good 3000+ sq ft home. DH needs an office, and I will eventually, too. Plus, we want a playroom and a nice sized kitchen, master bath and large walk in closet. Only one living room/family room.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• IDk about sq. foot... but IDEAL for us would be:
    -Decent size kitchen/living room (nothing big though)
    - a second living room/gameroom that is "public" and not closed off. (we dont plan on putting tvs in bedrooms so we want 2 "living rooms" so we have more than 1 choice in what can be on the tv. the 2nd livingroom will be more of a family room for boardgames. video games. scrapbooking. hangout for kids)
    -MUST have 2 bathrooms!
    - 3 bedrooms.. 1 decent size master for us.. and 2 bedrooms for the kids.

I dont want a big house. its more to clean. but it needs to be big enough that we can have a lil' space from each other.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When you live in NYC, you learn to make the most of small spaces. I used to live in a 250 sq foot apartment, now we live in a 1100 sq ft apartment. Since I grew up in a house that 5000 sq feet, it is small, but manageable.
    amandag618

Answer by amandag618 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I like this article which talks about how to make a small room look larger, without expensive construction costs: http://ow.ly/38azo
    amandag618

Answer by amandag618 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We are building our first home and have one child. The home is 1816sq ft. It has 3 bedrooms, that was a min for us so we would have an extra room for my partner and a guest bed. The main thing was lots of open room in the living and kitchen area.
    fluffymomma175

Answer by fluffymomma175 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When we bought this house (it's just under 2000 square feet, we thought it would be big enough for the four of us. We moved here two and a half years ago, and we've already outgrown it. Now we're building a house that's 3515 square feet. More than we will need so we won't outgrow it and have to move again.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010