Why are my cookiaking cookies lately.es flat?

I am having the worst time baking lately. Everything I have made is coming out flat. I can't for the life of me figure out why. I just made my spritz cookies with my cookie press and these came out flat too. These never come out flat! what's going on?

NickNRyansMom2

Asked by NickNRyansMom2 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Is it possible your baking powder has gone bad? That's the only thing I can think of right off the top of my head.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I was gonna say the same thing tropicalmama said. baking soda/powder only has a shelf life of about 6 months.

If it's been a while since I baked, I always buy a new package of it.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 7:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• if you are using margarine it has water in it so it will flatten cookies so add more flour , never use the spreadable butter for baking....
    I always just add more flour you want your batter to be a bit on the dry side so i always will try a sample cookie first to see if i need more flour or what
    it could be the oven too.... hope this helps
    Debi12

Answer by Debi12 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• There are a few causes for flat cookies:
    1. Your baking soda or baking powder is out of date and not doing it's job
    2. Your butter is too soft. You can use it when it is just pliable, or switch to a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening.
    3. Your dough needs to be chilled. Softer doughs, when chilled, will spread less than a warm/room temp dough.
    4. Greasing the cookie sheet and/or not measuring your fat (butter, shortening, etc) correctly. Too much butter or a greased cookie sheet can make the dough spread.
    5. Using the wrong flour. For the most part, AP flour is best. Using cake flour can cause thin, flat cookies.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• your soda/powder can be tested by putting a little in water it should fizz also smell it if it is real acrid smelling it probably is bad i assume that your using the same ing you usually use as you state it has never happened before as far as butter goes if not real butter check the oil ratio alot of them cannot be used for good baking out come good luck:)
    smoothiequeen

Answer by smoothiequeen at 6:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008