Why are my cookies flat?

I am having the worst time baking lately. Everything I have made is coming out flat. I can't for the life of me figure out why. I just made my spritz cookies with my cookie press and these came out flat too. These never come out flat! what's going on?

NickNRyansMom2

Asked by NickNRyansMom2 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Fresh baking soda and baking powder may help.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Good suggestion about the baking powder, especially, it will expire. Or have you changed shortenings lately, or using too much shortening?

Answer by Bmat at 8:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you are using butter make sure it is not melted in your batter...
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• yeah I was going to say your batter isn't cold enough
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• You need to check your exp dates on your leavening agents. That will make cookies and all baked goods flat. Also, you need to check your oven temp with an oven thermometer. Make sure you are not over working the dough as this will affect them as well. Oh and the last part is the humidity. Humidity will really play havoc with baking. Don't bake when it is snowing or raining and this will help as well. I absolutely will not bake if it looks like it will rain... chocolate won't set, dough will not turn out correct and even cookies can be affected.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2008