What should I charge?

I agreed to watch a friends two children 3 days a week (from 8:30 am t0 4:30 pm) The children are a 3 1/2 year old boy and a 1 year old baby girl. She wants to do it hourly so that if she gets off early, she can pick them up and not have to pay extra, or if she gets off a little late, I will still get paid for my extra time (which I think is perfectly fair). What do you think would be a good hourly rate? I would love feedback from anyone but please let me know if you are a parent paying for in home child care, a person who provides in home child care or someone who has a suggestion for me. In my area she would prob pay between $180 and 250 a week for this amount of time for both children. (also I am willing to take them when they are sick, and not charge her for days when she is off and doesnt bring them to me (a day care wouldn't do either). I was thinking like $6 an hour but please tell me if that's too much/ too little

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I should also add that I will be taking care of my 4 year old daughter at the same time.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have no idea, but I'm interested in the cost as well, so here's a bump!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• are you wanting to charge 6 dollars per kid each hour?
    xbadkatx

Answer by xbadkatx at 12:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You realize $6/hr per kid is $96/day for the 8 hours you would normally be watching them. That is way more than she would pay at a daycare. Not sure how much you should charge her though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Who is providing the food for them? breakfast and lunch and at least 2 snacks... it adds up!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 12:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No, not per kid, $6 per hour total. I should have put that.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The understanding is that they will come having eaten breakfast, I am to give them lunch and a morning and after noon snack for the boy, the baby will be sent with those baby snack things
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it sounds good! I drove 15 miles to make the same at their house watching the same age about the same hours, i dont think that was worth it... should have added gas to it too....
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 12:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Ok $6/hr sounds reasonable then.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Seems reasonable.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010