Can one doctor give all three of us prescriptions?

So, I'm pretty sure me and my two little boys (1 and 4) have strep throat. I meet 4 out of 5 of the "criteria" for it and the boys are 5 for 5.

I was just going to let it run it's course and only get anti-biotics if we ran into complications, but I've been doing some reading and it seems that without treatment we can still be contagious for 2-3 weeks. Now, 2 weeks out from thanksgiving and cooking dinner for my elderly grandmother... that's not a good thing!

So, I figured I'd cave and go see the doctor... but me and the boys have different doctors... different medical groups, even. Can just one of them give us all meds? Obviously if one of us have it, we all do... so it wouldn't seem we'd need multiple tests. I just *really* don't feel like spending all day traveling around to see different doctors, wait in different lobbies, be exposed to that many more germs if we can just see one. Am I just dreaming? ha!

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 1:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Health

• Yes, you can all go see a family practitioner, and they will give all 3 of you scrips for antibiotics. You need antibiotics to get rid of strep throat. I hope you all feel better soon!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It depends on how your health care system of set up. Some will and some won't. Some will treat everyone with symptoms despite not having a positive test and some will make you see your regular doctor since you are not a patient of theirs. It would not hurt to ask of course.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes they can but whether or not they WILL is where you may run into some trouble. Often doctors will still require you to fill out all of the paper work, have a new patient appointment for each new patient and get tested.

It really depends on the doctor. My family doctor would do it without a doubt. I could call him right now if I needed to and say "Hey we've got strep. You know how many times I had it and now the kids have it too. Is there anyway you could call something in for all of us?" and he would say "sure" and tell me where to pick it up even though my children go to a pediatrician.

But I've met other doctors who would not do that without an appointment for each person.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Could you go to one of those "minute-clinics"? A lot of them will do strep tests and still bill your insurance - that way, you could get everyone tested at once.
    Please don't "let it run it's course" -- you need antibiotics to get rid of strep, it will not go away on its own. Failure to treat strep can result in serious complications. The sooner you treat it, the better, because you guys are spreading it around to everyone around you.
    Hope you guys feel better soon!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Agree with PPs, and also be aware that if you all go into a family doctor, they may expect you to pay 3 copays even for just 1 visit. Ran into this a lot when I was in the insurance world. Just a heads up, but maybe you could find a doctor who would get it all done at the same time reasonably. Good luck!
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2010