Is there a polite way of saying I need the week end off

I recently started working at a facility that is open 24/7, 365. When filling out my application and going through orientation I put down that I could be available mon-fri 7-3, 3-11 or tues-fri 7-3, 3-11 Sat & Sun 7-3, 3-11 however I may only work during the week 1 or 2 days and then work both sat& sun this will be the 5 week end in a row and need time to spend with my own children. Don't get me wrong I love the job and don't mind the hours but 5 week ends in a row is excessive, or is it? How do I say I need time with my family without sounding pitiful?

MoMoBear

Asked by MoMoBear at 2:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sorry can't help you there i'm my own boss. I started my own small business but heres a bump for you.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would work with them like tell them i am avavilable ever other weekend or i can work the first Sat and 3rd Sunday of the month. If you show your willing to work with them they will be willing to work with you. I work for a company that is open 365 days a year oh excuses me 364 we do lock our doors on X-Mas day.But ya I work most weekends but i don't mind it cause normally I go in at 4am and I am out by 12-1 pm and i have the day with my family.
    So the best thing i can say to you is work with them and i am sure they will work with you. Congrats on getting a job you sound like you really enjoy or will enjoy.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• As a working mom outside the home (full time at that), I also work weekends...and love my job. When your work schedule changes so drastically, so should your home schedule. Set up a detailed schedule and then schedule your family nights out accordingly. Schedule dates with each of your children and let them choose the place to go. Each child feels appreciated and the other child is a lot more anxious for their date with mommy! I do this and the kids know when their mommy date is.

With regards to work, assuming you have leave time (if offered by your employer), you should talk one-on-one with your management and arrange head of time that weekend off. Business is business and unfortunately, your life takes a backseat. But 5 weekends in a row would suffice as dependable and worthy of an approved weekend off! Congrats on your new job!

Ida @ Parents Reinvented
    MomReinvented

Answer by MomReinvented at 6:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just politely point out you have worked that many weekends and you have plans you need off for.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think I would bring up the subject once the probationary period/review is done. Other than that I think I would be risking my job.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My husband runs a business that is open 24/7. When he hires someone new it is with the understanding that the availability they gave him is when they are available to work. If a new person suddenly decides they don't want to work weekends, and that's what he needs from them, he gives them the choice to figure out what their priorities are or to move on. That's not to say that his employees can't take time off for planned events periodically. Also once they become senior employees in time, they get a schedule that is what they prefer to work, but that is after at least a year of employment. You chose a job that requires a huge change in the family schedule and I am sure that it is tough when you are used to being there on weekends and now you aren't, but you have to make the necessary changes within your family to complement your new job.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010