What should I know about caring for my hubs after a vasectomy?

My husband is getting a vasectomy on Friday, something that we've known was coming up for awhile but it jsut kinda sprung itself on me this week.
I want to know what should I expect for him and what things can I do to help him heal/be more comfortable.

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 2:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Health

• make sure he does what the doctor tells him, my husband didn't listen too well and by the end of the day, he was in a lot of pain! The dac. will prob. talk to you too so, you'll know what to do. It's not that bad!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just remember it can self reverse.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Make sure he follows all the instructions the doctor give me.. after the procedure he must take it easy not lifting to much of anything.. he will be sore for the first day and it will get better and easier to move around the second day.. Most important!!! be sure he does his 2 post op visits thats to make sure he has no live sperm.. so many men don't go back to check, they assume its a done deal.. but there are times there are and a unwanted pregnancy happens.. I worked with a big urologist practice in houston.. hope info helps
    jojo153

Answer by jojo153 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, for us there wasn't a lot of care needed. The doctor gave him some wonder pills before he went in and he was higher than a kite. I stayed with him for the procedure and had to keep reminding him to set back (he wanted to see what they were up to). Afterward the nurse asked if he wanted help getting dressed and he said "Sure, the more the merrier." I told her I could handle it. LOL After we got home and rested a bit a friend called and invited him over. He managed to get lost in the same part of town he had lived in his entire life. He finally went past my parent's house and found his own way home from there. He didn't have a lot of pain or anything, just took a while for everything to wear off.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• just give him lots of hugs
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My husband said his was a piece of cake. The only problem he had was when our 3 year old head-butted him in the crotch and busted a stitch the day he had it done. The only reason he even had stitches was because he was on blood thinners. Otherwise, they don't even do that anymore. The surgery is really easy and recovery is fast.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Make sure he does what the doctor says. He will probably feel good and want to go about his normal routine, but he really should take it easy for weekend. My husband has had to have 2 vasectomies. His tubes had reattached themselves after the first one so he had to have another one.
    stedim

Answer by stedim at 2:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• So what the Dr says.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010