After living together for several months do you consider yourselves common law married?

405mom

Asked by 405mom at 3:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• No, even the states that still do it say you have to live together for 6+ months! I live with my hubby 4 years even filed taxes together was told the gov. saw as married once we did that, but in my eyes we weren't common law married!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 3:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No.....only 5 or 6 states only accept common law marriage, but just my personal opinion...No
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No I live in one of the few states that have common law standing in there state. But we are married so it is legal.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• no....i'm in canada....law is different for different aspects...sounds stupid, but for one thing you have to be living together for 3 years or have a baby together to be considered common law...for another thing, it's up to you to decide if you are self-proclaimed as such, for other purposes, it's two years.....i know to be able to transfer vehicles without transfer costs between spouses, you have to be living together for 3 years or have a baby....and its same for the school loan applications.....but its different when it comes to other issues...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 3:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010