My husband is depressed and has been for a LONG time...

I personally thinks he needs to go to counseling or get a prescription or something! But he absolutly will not listen to me he gets all defensive when I mention it.. Any suggestions to help him realize that HE is the only one that can make himself completely happy! i used to be soo caring about it and talk to him and listen but he wont help himself so I dont want to hear it. That sounds awful but the way i see it its like not voting during the presidential elections and then bitching because of who got in to the office!

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 3:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• He does have to be the one to pick up the phone and make the appointment and get his ass to the appointment. He may need someone to push the issues more and have that NOT be you. Does he have a good friend that will stand up and tell him he needs to go see someone? If so then you need to get him to the place he needs to be at. Even bring him to ER and getting things rolling will help also.Depression is a VERY DANGEROUS thing to play with so I would do whatever you have got to do to get him in to see someone ASAP.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Maybe try playing "role-reversal" ie; if this were me and I was acting/feeling this way what would you tell me...might help him see his behaviour better??
    Print out a Depression Questionaire and have him fill it out?
    Just some ideas....Good Luck!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• He does have to be the one to get help. I know it can be very hard to deal with, my husband gets depressed and says hes not but it is as clear as the nose on his face, but he gets all defensive and says I'm over reacting.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 8:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2010