Is anyone else sick of all the bonds on the ballot?!?!? Warning: lots of ranting.

I'm so sick of the "it doesn't raise taxes" lie that the supporters of bond measures keep stressing. Where on earth do they think the money comes from? Off of trees? There is over $17 Billion in bonds on my ballot (I'm in CA). $17 BILLION! That will take $34 BILLION to pay back!
There is no free money. The money to pay for these bonds comes out of the general fund! Then there's not enough money in the general fund to pay for the things that are normally paid from it. So more bonds must be issued or taxes must be raised to keep things going. But the taxes aren't raised to "pay for the bond" - they are raised to keep the government going because all the money was used up paying for the stupid bond.
Why don't people understand this?!?!?
Why do voters keep swallowing this "doesn't raise taxes" lie?!?!?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I cannot imagine living in California, and people used to say " so goes California, so goes the country" that is scary to me, are the bonds on the ballot because of the financial situation there and the state being almost broke? If the state is broke what other way is there to fix it?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• No, the bonds have nothing to do with the state being broke. They are to raise money for lots of "feel good" things - like high-speed railways, fancier hospitals, giving rebates to people who buy electric cars - "good and useful" things. Note the dripping sarcasm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• OH, well then, yes, I would be very upset about that also. The days of feel good things are going to be gone and should be gone for quite awhile.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'm with you. I actually voted no on ALL of the bond things. I did support veterans getting housing help. I don't think it was a bond issue though.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 8:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• The Veterans prop is a bond too - 900 Million dollars for vets, 1.8 Billion over 30 years to pay for it. I'm torn over it and haven't decided what to do about it yet. I HATE bonds. They are such an expensive, wasteful way to pay for things.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Even with it being a bond issue, I would have to say yes. They put it out there for our country and I am very thankful for that. :-)
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 11:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008