Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

In need of some legal advice for my 19 year old nephew

My 19 year old nephew lives in pennsylvania, i live in california. He has been on his own pretty much since he was 17. He was engaged to a girl who was also 19 and her father past away as well as his father did. She inherited 95,000 dollar. She had a heart condition to the point where she had to drop out of hs and couldnt drive, also need to be around someone 24/7. So my nephew quit his job to take care of her. They just this week broke up after she cheated on him. He now "talks" to a girl who used to hook up with the man who stole my nephews fiance. The problem my nephew has is his ex payed for everything almost with her inherited money. Their four cars (2 honda's,a truck,and a cadilac) are all in his name, but she payed for it, except for the truck who was given to her uncle. She wants the honda civic which my nephew drives. Thought just a few days ago she went into their appt. and took my nephews perscription meds,

Answer Question

Asked by MasonsMommyy at 6:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 11 (539 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • CONT.. his dead fathers cologne, his clothes, their 58' inch flat screen, their lap top, his 1,600 dollar guitar, and a sword. His ex is willing to let him keep the appt and everything in it. He wants all of his stuff back except the flat screen and he wants to keep the honda civic. An other addition to this drama is his ex's new bf. He has threated to use his gun ( that hasnt be re-registered) on my nephews friend. They have about 5 witnesses to the boy telling my nephews cousin this. Also this guy drove without his lisence,dealt drugs(other then weed), and has told people that hes killed before. The boys aunt is a judge and his uncle is a state policeman. They allowed him to drive illegally. Also he was is a delivery boy for a chinese food place so he drives constantlyyApparently the boy and my nephews ex have a lawyer just in case my nephew doesnt give them the honda civic. What would be your advice on the whole situation?

    Comment by MasonsMommyy (original poster) at 6:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • My advice? he needs to cut his losses. He may have quit his job to take care of this girl, but he didn't *have* to. Since they were not married, he technically does not have the right to any of that money. I would take whatever the ex is willing to let him have, and move on in life. Stop talking to the ex of the new BF, because the last thing you want in this type of situation is more drama. If she took his prescription meds, then he should report it to the police.
    Since there were threats, etc, maybe he should go file for an OFP against the ex and the new BF, in which he can ask that his sentimental items be returned -- but he needs to return what she is asking for, as well. If that means giving up the car, so be it. It's just stuff -- he can always buy more. Chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I agree with MommaofH2

    BUT...if he really wants to fight giving up the car and wants his stuff back, he might be able to take it to small claims court. But there is no telling if he'd win.

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I assume the vehicles are in his name because she could not drive. Did he ever sign anything saying the vehicles were hers? Courts don't like to divide up property when people split up in non marital situations. I think it is reasonable for him to have one of the 4 vehicles. He needs to get the others out of his name. In the meantime, he needs to make sure they are all insured in the even of an accident. What happened to the other 3 vehicles? I would report the theft of the medication to the police. As far as the other items, he can file a small claims case asking for the return or the monetary value. If he had the items prior to their relationship, there should be no issue. It will be hard to get "their" items divided between them. I think he can argue that he was the caregiver and she agreed to support him in return. Good luck and he needs to stay away from them and report any threats.

    Answer by tomatoqueen at 7:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I went through something similar and the best way to deal with it is to go to small claims court.

    Answer by Missikat75 at 7:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • yes the cars are all in his name

    Comment by MasonsMommyy (original poster) at 7:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I agree, small claims court is the way to go!! GL

    Answer by newmom28 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.