Moms out there can you help me with this , I have a 14 month old who is always climbing my living room table I take him down say NO ! if he does it again I playpen him, then he does it again when I take himout !any advice how to disapline? I think I'm a little on the soft side Thanks everyone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you dont sound soft i think your doing the right thing thats what i do with my daughter. at his age we wants to explore cause now he can and i dont think there is much you can do to stop it but on the bright side its just a phase
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 8:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• The one thing that i have learned with my neice you have to be firm. set him down in a chair for a few min. and then let him up and if he does it again then set him back down and i think there is nothing wrong with a little smack on butt...not to hurt him just to get his attention.
    Pickenpaugh

Answer by Pickenpaugh at 8:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• You're doing fine. It just takes a while for them to learn. Think about it...
    do you mean "no climbing" only before lunch, only after a nap, only yesterday, what if he has bare feet... he doesn't understand how rules work or what the boundaries are.

Something else you can try - build a pile of pillows in the family room. When he climbs on something he shouldn't, lift him down and say (firmly) "No climbing on the charis. You can climb on the pillows." Then take him to the pillows and put him on top. He's going to climb - give him an OK place to do it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• you could move the chairs away from the table for a little while until he gets a little older to understand so you are not repeating yourself a million times.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My son is 16 months and was also climbing my living room table which is a glass top so of course im like breath gasping whenever i see a foot go in the air...as we all know and realized the NO! lol doesnt seem to get very far, But I'v also noticed the more attention you pay to the things you dont want them to do thier going to do more....so what i did was let him go at it...of course keeping a very very watchful eye on him the whole time and if i think hes went to far i get him down without saying anything now he no longer climbs on the table...you could try that but if you dont feel comfortable thats completly understandable also...
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I have to laugh when I read that, when my son was about 2 and the neighbor's daughter was also 2, we babysat her while her mom went to a doctor appt. The kids were dancing to the radio and she got on the table and I told her to get down, and she just started dancing more, and I laughed when I realized what I was saying to her was to "Get Down!!!!" Dance!!!
    On the serious side, just put him in time out or take his favorite thing away til he understands that mommy is serious.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 1:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My kids did/do this. It is just something that they do. The only way to get them to stop climbing on the table is to make sure that the chairs are pushed all the way in, or pull the chairs out so they can't reach the table.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You have to be consistent. So tell him from now on as soon as he climbs it's tiem out. No warning. When he climbs, straight to time out. Tell him no along the way. WHen he's out, if he does it again, right back to time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Just stay consistant!!! I know I can no longer keep my children's bedroom door open during the day when they are up because they will go in there and climb up on top of their dressers and jump off-especially our 2 1/2yr. old boy! I know my oldest daughter(she's 3 1/2) when she jumped off the dinning room table-she hit her forehead, and she never did it again!! But, girls learn quickly-usually boys, they think that if they got hurt doing something-they just did it wrong! They have to retry it a different way!!! Of course this is a generalized statment as all of our children are a little different but that is the "rule of thumb" we have around here and so far that is how it is......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008