Do you think that this dog food is too expensive, or worth the price?

Ok, so i just became a rep and sell flint river ranch dog food, the food is a bit on the pricey end, but i'm a health freak when it comes to my dogs...So basically i'm wondering what everyday pet owners feel when it comes to the brand of dog food, do they look for price? quality? a mix of both?
The website is www.frrco.com/122889

Please give me your opinions, thanks so much
Rachel

Rachel1786

Asked by Rachel1786 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pets

• I love my dogs as well and fully believe that you do what you can to make their life as long and healthy as possible. I never buy puppies, I rescue adults from abuse and neglect. SO I have seen what poor nutrition does to them.
    BUT... I feed very high quality food, and the brand I use is about 1/2 the price of what I saw on your link. That is VERY expensive kibble. If it were more natural food products maybe I could see paying that much, just long enough to nurse a dog back to good health. I don't know how invested you are in the company, but especially with people being afraid of the economic situation, I would probably rethink investing too much there. Just my opinion. I have no idea how high the cost of living is where you are, it could be much higher and people be more willing to spend that much there.
    BUT. It DOES look to be very good, high quality food.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 8:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'm also very careful about what I feed my dogs, and I usually tell by ingreedience label if the food is good...I use Grandma's potpie or eagle pack. Thay are the most naturall
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that you would be hard-pressed to convince me that a more expensive dog food is REALLY healthier than a cheaper brand.
    knightmoves

Answer by knightmoves at 3:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Unless you are making your dogs food yourself you will never know exactly what goes into it....... We use Iams because it is I think better than Ol' Roy brand from Walmart but, not the most expensive... We used to buy Diamond-which was suppose to be one of the higher ups(it was for cost wise anyway) but, we have 3 dogs, cannot afford to spend a fortune on them-we do enough of that now in way of food! Besides the fact that Petco kept running out of the type of Diamond dog food we bought in the size we bought it in........
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• What we look for in dog food is ingredients. We won't buy anything if in the first 2 ingredients are corn, rice, or barley (that means no really cheap stuff like ol roy, mostly mid range stuff). Dogs aren't meant to live off of mostly corn or other 'fillers'.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my vet say to buy a good quality and sit with that however for years i made my own dog food and we had a wide range of sizes and breeds some of the toy breeds you need to watch the beef and red meats she suggests chix or turkey i made mine with chicken thighs cornmeal garlic and chicken broth they loved it had great coats etc i also use to throw them in my pool and between the chlorine and garlic i never had flea problems however the black cocker use to have a red tinge to her coat man she loved to swim with us now i only have one little munchkin and it seems like to much work as she cannot eat it fast enough for the amount i make to come out right
    smoothiequeen

Answer by smoothiequeen at 5:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i used to feed the dogs canadaid but that got to expensive right now so they eat another brand that i got at costco. a half way in between super good or great but i can't have the dogs eating better then us. that's just insane. we need to cut corners to make ends meet and unable us to continue to keep them.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i change my dog food every month or so. i do not by them old roy or other store brand. they do not get stuff like kibbles and bits or gravey train. the brands i tend to stick to are the purinas, iams, and natural choice. some times they do get science diet but nothing more than that.
    titus03mom

Answer by titus03mom at 9:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes, more expensive dog food CAN be healthier; it just depends on the INGREDIENTS. Look for a food that the first ingredient is a NAMED meat (preferably in meal form; all the water was removed BEFORE cooking all of the ingredients so it has a higher meat content), NO corn, wheat, or soy, NO menadione, NO bha/bht or other chemical preservatives (look for mixed tocopherols or Vitamin E instead), and NO byproducts/fillers.

I don't see anything bad or wrong with FRR, but in my opinion you can do better for the price. For instance, I feed Taste of the Wild (all life stages, grain-free). The Pacific Stream formula is the fish based one. I can get a 30# bag for $42.50. The closest thing to that FRR has is the trout and sweet potato formula (although it isn't grain-free) and they want $38.99 for 20#?!?!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010