How can one tell if you ripped a stitch?

I had my son about a week ago, it was a normal vaginal delivery, everything went great except i ended up ripping. I got 2-3 stitches. I had been told that if i went to the bathroom not to 'bare down' but instead i held it for a week. Needless to say a week without a bowel movement sucked and today i just had to go finally. Afterwards, i just had a feeling of discomfort down there and when i went to check to make sure things are okay i noticed i had started bleeding again after it had nearly come to an end. Decently to. I never checked my stitches down there so i dont know if things are still in order. Is it possible a bowel movement just started clearing me out more? Or do yo think i just ended up ripping a stitch? i don't feel any pain there if that helps, just uncomfortable and that could all be in my head. I'D be at the doctor right now but i cant afford the co-pays of me and the kids. any answers would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well you'd feel it if your ripped a stitch, also try stole softeners in the mean time til they heal, also if you ripped a stitch you'd bleed a lot more then just a little. you probably just bled because you were constipated. i think you'll be fine just take it easy, and if they gave you a sits bath use it, or take a warm/hot bath and soak for awhile to ease the uncomfort.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 6:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• it hurts when you rip a stitch, kind of like a snapping feeling. I did that with my first pregnancy. The dr didn't even acknowledge it, the midwife did. The bleeding may have very well been due to the BM since you hadn't had one for a week. My suggestion would be to start taking stool softeners, NOT LAXITIVES. They are different, the softeners will just make it easier for you to go with less pain and bearing down.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 11:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• do stool softeners and dont worry about ripping one stitch too much. i ripped like 68 in my head one night ( i had 128) laughign at my family and it feels like a pulling sort of and then it feels looser all of a sudden. anyway, my face is fine. it hadn't hurt me to pop them. i think they just hold everything together until it starts to heal. after that they're not necessary. just be careful in the future.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Have you thought about Hemroids? They are extremely uncomfortable, but can be treated with over the counter medicine.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 10:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2008