getting stationed in germany,illesheim, concerned about how my 5yr old will adapt to school there and other children.. any moms stationed there with small children?

we are moving to germany over the summer.. my husband is in kuwait right now but will be home in jan or feb.. then we are preparing to leave to germany.. we both never been and not to sure what to expect.. any advice out there

jojo153

Asked by jojo153 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My hubby's dad was stationed in Germany when he was in high school and he said it was the best experience ever. I would assume that your child will attend an America school on base so I don't think that will be any different than moving anywhere else. Enjoy it, a once in a lifetime opportunity!!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• *American school
    shanlaree

• My father was stationed in Bad Kissigen when I was little. We were back in the states before my 4th birthday. My mom enrolled me in a German preschool so that I would be immersed in the culture. If your child is going to school on base then you don't have anything to worry about, but if your child is going to go to school off base I would start trying to learn some German so that you all feel comfortable. I think it will be a wonderful experience for all of you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I did my student teaching on an American base overseas. Will you live on the economy or on base? Regardless, there will be a lot of other American children for your child to socialize with if you choose to attend school on base. (And why wouldn't you, it's free). The school's are typically k-12, just like over here, with the same quality of teachers and administrators...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No advice, but good luck!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010